Inside out gills? - Moulting oddity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside out gills? - Moulting oddity

Heaven knows what prompted this, but the 2nd week I had him, he moulted.  Obviously a rough time of it - lost one arm/claw in the process.  

Weirdest thing though - Now he's wearing his gills on the OUTSIDE of his body.  I noticed it a few days after he moulted, when he came out of hiding.  Freaky, but he seems to be doing alright.  Dont' know how it will be after his next molt - will they ever be able to go back inside again?  

Anyone else ever seen/had this happen?  What did you do and how did it turn out??

See photos below (click on one to enlarge it):

The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
    Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Re: Inside out gills? - Moulting oddity

could it be a fungus? maybe a mishap when he molted?
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

wow- i have never seen that.  8O
      Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
      Alexa Rae
      Co-President of CAK
      MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Comment

Is he in a tank by himself? Id make sure noone could attack him till his next moult. Maybe that would fix him?

Comment

This site may be able to help you.

Ive never seen anything like that

Comment

Eklikwhoa:  No, I almost wish it were just a fungus.   I've heard from a couple of folks on some of hte cray sites where it happened to them - some made it, some didn't.  

Brownsnoutuk:  I spent this evening swapping tanks with 3 clarkii's who were in a 20L.  Both tanks had nearly exact water parameters, and the 3 really needed more room as one of the girls just molted.  That's when I discovered the other girl has berries!  She started hiding in a shipwreck ornament yesterday or day before.  When I lifted it to move her to the 40, I peeked inside and she's got a tailful!  In a month I'll find out if she's a good momma.

So now Mr. big has his own 20L shared with a sprinkle of guppies (about 5 or 6).  

Grace:  Thanks for the link, I"ll have to check it out.
            The ultimate oxymoron - Narcolepsy and ADHD.
            Who says you can`t have it all??!!

Comment

Working...
            X