Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ramiusses.. Ramius's..Rami.. Gah! My next(current) project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramiusses.. Ramius's..Rami.. Gah! My next(current) project!

Ok.. we all know what happened last time I decided to make a "minor" substrate change in a tank..

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Well, I'm in the beginnings of a new project. the sumpilation of my tank and I could use some creative advice here..

The beginning:

Ok, I was running a couple of power filters on the backside of my tank. All was good till the main filter decided it didn't want to work anymore.

Soooooo, in an emergency I went out and bought a magnum three fiddy and hooked it up, no biggie. But then I got to looking around the room and truth is.. I've had a REAAAAALLY big All glass sump sitting in my living room for like... ever.

Well, after talking with a good friend mr BigJames from the board, he had the equipment I needed to get this sukka up and running. (pump/overflow box/plumbing ideas)

So my plan, is to have the sump filter, and the magnum 350 filtering my haven. However, I ran into some design issues (as always)

I've got glass tops on my tank, which I set my lighting system and soda cans on. when I hung the overflow box on the back of the tank it.. not sure what word I'm looking for here.. Portruded.. too far into the tank for me to replace the glass top.

So.. this means, I now am going to have evaporation issues, and lighting placement issues.

Can I buy legs for the lighting system, I know it came with them new, but they were not available when I bought it (used). That would help with the lighting thing.. but then, I guess I'd still have evaporation problems, I've always had a top on the tank, so I dont know how much of an issue that would be, anyone have any thoughts on an open tank?

What about going in another direction, anyone have any other ideas?

As always, photographs are being taken for your amusement and will be posted at the end of the project :)
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
    Co-President of CAK

Re: Ramiusses.. Ramius's..Rami.. Gah! My next(current) proje

Yes, I have purchased replacement legs on line, just search

glass covers are usually 3 parts
    front glass with handel to lift
    middle glass with hinge to front glass
    back plastic for filter cutouts

you can get a back plastic with wider dimensions and
    buy or make a middle glass more narrow than the existing one
    or replace the two pieces with a piece of plexiglass
    or you can drill a hole in the back of the tank for a connection
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Drilling holes really would be the ideal way to go, if I had the energy to 'take the tank down' again I would go that route, as is I'm saving it as a backup plan.

My glass is actually only two big pieces, I'll look around to see if I can get a different type as you suggested... hmm, things aren't looking so dismal now, thank you :)
      Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
      Co-President of CAK

Comment

What light fixture do you have?

All of my planted tanks have open tops and the evaporation isn't much which by the time I notice it is time to do a water change. You could always go to Lowes/HomeDepot and get a new glass cut but keep in mind that the heat from the light can crack glass.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
        X