Cories and Sand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cories and Sand?

I hope this isn't a silly question but I was just wondering is sand safe for Corydoras?  I have four cories in my 40 Gallon and they seem to Love the sand!!  Always playing in it and diggin their little noses in it.  I read on the internet that cories prefer sand and that larger gravel could damage their barbels, but the girl at my LFS told me to get them out of there because sand is not good for them.  She said it could shorten their life span.

Re: Cories and Sand?

I have been keeping Corys for about 8 years now and it has always been a sand substrate for my corys. They just love it. Just see to it that the sand grains are not too sharp as they will damage their barbels.Even i love to see them rummaging through he sand. Your corys should be fine in a sandy substrate.
    Checkout my blog AquaMusing
    sigpic

Comment

I agree. I also have some pygmy cories in one of my tanks with sand as a substrate, I've never had problems. It's not necessarily the larger gravel that damages their barbels, but sharp substrates. Not sure why the girl at the LFS said it would shorten their life span... :?

Not a silly question at all!
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Fine sand is absolutely great for them! Stay away from the coarser stuff that is shaped like shards of glass.
        700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Working...
        X