Tannins ? in water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tannins ? in water

My 40' stream filters the water keeping it clear; but ,the last couple weeks the water has turned the color of iced tea. I am in the woods so, first the water was covered with the green pine pollen, then the oak "flowers" and now the pine "flowers" have fallen into the water. The pond also catches a lot of rain runoff ,so the 2.5" rain this week did a partial water change . But as the water cleared (about 3 days with the stream) it is still iced tea color. In 6/7 yr, I don't recall this problem before.
    Any ideas how to take out the color ? ( without using 1000 gal of bottled water).

Re: Tannins ? in water

The brown is more than likely from leaves and other organic matter on the bottom (like sun tea).

I know a diatom filter will remove the haze and perhaps a sand filter will work.   You might have luck with an extra fine paper cartridge filter.
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

So this is in your pond?

I don't really see a cheap efficient way of going about this but if it doesn't matter to you then Seachem Purigen works really well.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Yes, in the ponds (a 110 gal tub and a 1000 gal pond), the stream water is not more than 6" deep so the water color in not noticeable there. I had nettted most leaves.pine cones,acorns,etc earlier. Also the 5 Koi ( 14" to 24") eventually eat about any vegetation that gets in. Sand/gravel is generally visible  on the bottom (not buried by leaves).
        Another 3/4" rain last night, it will take about 24hr for the stream to clear the silt. That could be the answer; throw a few pounds of bentonite or other clay into the water to absorb/adsorb the color. Poor mans chealate.

Comment

Working...
        X