How can I make a homeade brace???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I make a homeade brace???

I reecntly purchased a used 100 gallon tank and oddly...the homeade brace that the previous owner made has popped off.
    The aquarium powed out slightly which is worrying me greatly....
    Luckily, I was able to shove it back on in a makeshift attempt to hold in center of the aquarium together.
    After careful speculation, I noticed that the glass in the middle of the aquarium is off one one side.
    Let me try to explain it better....that strip of glass in the middle of the tank that holds the covers in place has come off on one side...
    it's sort of hanging in the tank.
    I suppose that this has happened before considering that the guy made a homeade brace for the center...

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for making a homeade brace....
    I believe this may lead to greater problems.  :(

Any/All advice is appreciated.

Kind Regards.
    Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's; Houston's premier fish club
    Alexa Rae
    Co-President of CAK
    MAY THE GOD OF YOUR CHOICE BLESS YOU.

Re: How can I make a homeade brace???

The glass middle piece that came off one side is what you need to re-attach.

Id drain the tank asap, 100 gallons is a lot of water.

Comment

Will aquarium sealant hold the middle piece if it's been totally unattached??
      I didn't know that sealant is that strong...

Is that the only solution??
      Alexa Rae
      Co-President of CAK

Comment

Are you able to take any pics and post them? This is a little hard to visualize.  Plus with those pics could direct you a little better.

Comment

100% silicone will hold it. You will need to let it dry for at least 24 hours without getting it wet.
          Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
          Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
          Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I will post pics tomorrow to see if it will help.

Gator- lol. I'm sorry it was hard to visualize...I don't know any correct terminology...I felt like I said..."The glass thingy broke off the plastic thingy and it was 1/2 way in the water and then the metal thing popped off and my tank looked fat and now I need a new one."  

:crazy:

I apologize for my horrible description.
            Maybe pics will help.

Kind Regards and thanks for the help so far!!!

Will post pics asap.
            Kind Regards.
            Alexa Rae
            Co-President of CAK

Comment

So basically the centerbrace broke, and now the tank bows in the middle and looks as if it will bust.

I am not sure how handy you are with tools but, you could purchase some really large C-Clamps for the hardware store that should be able to clamp it back.

Depending if your centerbrace is plastic or glass will depend on what sealant to use, and are you bonding the broken piece to glass or plastic?
              380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
              300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
              180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
              150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

I would drain the tank to no more than 1/3 full to let the sides come back to somewhere near an unstressed position.
                I have added glass center (1/4" thick ) to a few tanks ; mostly cheap 55s that were not made with a center brace . Cut the glass very close to the width of the space (like 0.025" max undersize). clean the glass with vinegar then alcohol. RTV the ends of the brace ,hold in place with tape . I am cautious so I wait at least 5 days for the RTV to cure.

Comment

Working...
                X