DIY styrofoam background attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY styrofoam background attempt

I am attempting to make a diy background for a turtle tank.  So far everything is going well, but I have a few concerns.  I have seen different approaches from different sites online on whether cementing over the styrofoam should be done before or after the styro is siliconed into the tank.  

If you look at the picture, the styro is going to fit in the corner of this tank, and I would like to not have to hide the right side of the tank because the white styrofoam is visible.

So it seems that I will be applying the coats of cement before putting the styrofoam in, then siliconing it to the tank.  Does anyone have any input on how well that might work?  

Assuming this project goes well, I am hoping to take on a more ambitious one (bigger tank, bigger background).

Oh, and I'll post more pics as the work progresses...

Re: DIY styrofoam background attempt

Do it Outside the tank- that way you have nothing getting in your way- plus you can seal the styrofoam better when you don't have to run into sides of the tank or get at weird angles.  And if this your first time doing anything like this- the more freedom to correct mistakes the better!

I did a lot of model and set building with my theatre background and discoverd something always will go wrong- best to have that extra room to fix it and not damage the tank!

can't wait to see updates!

Comment

So the first coat of concrete went reasonably well once I got the right consistency.  Sprayed it with water about every 6 to 8 hours for the first 36 hours to help the curing.  I'm looking to do a second (and much thicker) coat tonight.

A little pigment goes a looong way and this is not really the color I was going for - good thing its just the first coat.

Comment

Would you mind telling how exactly you put coats of concrete on there? I'm not too knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, sorry!
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
          Would you mind telling how exactly you put coats of concrete on there? I'm not too knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, sorry!
          A good old paintbrush  

Basically I mixed some quickcrete masonry mix (it's super fine, so no lumps) in a paint roller tray and brushed it on with a 2" paintbrush.  I did have some difficulty getting the stuff to come off the brush and onto the styrofoam.  Also, wet cement washes off very easily too, so you can re-use the brush.

For the second, and if necessary, third coats, I will be attempting to slop the cement on with a gloved hand and then texture it out with the brush.  More on that tonight...

Comment

thats really cool, i think that would be cool to do like as mangrove roots, you know like a bunch of stems coming up almost to the surface, like an underwater forest, and then you plant it to really make it look like a forest. hmmm i feel another project coming on for myself but i gotta take care of the others first, dang job if only i was independently wealthy.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

You'd still be broke!
              Raul
              PokerFace

Comment

Thanks for the description, kyalib, that helps!  
                "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Here is a the second coat of cement and a coat of brown and black pigment.  The cementing went really well.  

I made it really thick and just kind of slapped it on, then used a wet paintbrush to "stick" it to the form.  I waited 2 hours and then applied pigment diluted in water.  So I guess I'll see what it looks like in the morning and do some more water spritzing to make sure it cures without any cracks.

Comment

looking good man- really cool!

Comment

I didn't see a post after the 2nd coat... any problems?  Also, where did ou getthe styrofoam and what did you use to color the cement mix?

G

Comment

Everything went well. the cement is cured and ready to go.

However, this project has been put on hold as I had to set up the empty tank for a while to hold some fish from the HAS auction.  It should be emptied and dry again this week, I hope.

Comment

Keep us posted on the progress of you don't mind...  I tried to steal your idea this past weekend to make a better "landing" for my aquatic turtles but was blown away by the cost of the styrofoam from the craft store.  

I've been checking into construction foam but have yet to find a retailer....

G

Comment

Just get MISC styrphome pieces out of packing boxes (like printers/tvs/etc)

Your shapes might be more limited but for the cost (free) You can't go wrong especially for the first couple "practice" attempts

If your anything like me, I have to try three or four times on something new before I get it right, and I'd hate to replace three or four expensive blocks when I could practice for free on some junk :)
                            Help support (C)atfish (A)nd (K)ool Pleco's, Houstons premier fish club.

David Seratt
                            Co-President of CAK

Comment

Yeah, the styrofoam I used was the lid from one of the coolers fish are shipped in.  I can usually get them from places like fish ranch and village (fish gallery now, I guess) when I get rocks or fish, but I bet any of the stores have them to spare.  

Ramius is right, packing boxes are a good source, escecially walmart furniture, they're loaded with styrofoam.

As for the color, I used oxide pigment from Lowes.  It comes in several colors, but I just used black and brown.  Actually, I found everything I needed at Lowes except the clear silicone I.  That stuff can be hard to find!

Comment

Working...
                              X