Favorite Mom & Pop Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Mom & Pop Restaurants

I love going to these types of place..sometimes better food then big chains. So I want to know some of your top picks. List type of food, location and number.
    For sandwhiches and po-boys "KAYS" the the place to go they also have great burgers.
    Kays
    216 Charles Street Humble, Tx.
    (281) 446-2662

A great mexican place that actually reminded me of eating in Mexico was this place.
    Los Vega
    4800 FM 1960 Rd. E, Humble Tx.
    (281) 812-9103

Re: Favorite Mom & Pop Restaurants

Los Fuentes Mexican in MAgnolia

Better before they started doing REALLY well  (busy). Gotten really popular but still really good. Good service. great food.
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
    n

Comment

Cinco De Mayo, Huntsville. Best chips and dip, and the foods really good. Prices are cheap too..meal for two is less than $15 with drinks.

Comment

is that the little blue moble home. gravel parking? where is cinco de mayo
        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
        n

Comment

Im not from Huntsville so couldnt say exactly where its at. Basically from I-45 exit 116, take 190/30 East for about 1 mile and its behind the CVS(i think its CVS) Its in the same place as Napa and O'reillys.

Comment

My wife and I go to a place called Le Viet on most Tuesdays. I think they have pretty good food, obviously it is Vietnamese. They're on Westheimer just west of Hayes.

Bubba's Burger Shack underneath Westpark Tollway/59 near 610 was good for a trip. Kooky little place, decent buffalo burger.

I think my favorite restaurant is Mongolian Cafe up on 1960 b/w 249 and 45 (closer to 249). Dirt cheap, all-you-can-eat on the Mongolian grill along with buffet-style asian food. We used to live very close to that place, now we make it up there about once a month or so.

There are so many Korean places on Bellaire that we haven't been able to make up our mind on what to try first. There are some vegetarian places that really intrigue my wife, including one Indian one.

Cafe Lily on Westheimer across from Augusta is good Lebanese. There are a lot of good little Thai places, including one in the same plaza as Lily just called "Thai Restaurant," another opened up on Westheimer just east of Dairy Ashford called Singha which was pretty good. I think my favorite Thai place is probably Mi Luna on Kirby.

Our favorite Indian restaurant was called Viceroy, on 1960 near Kuyekdahl (sp?) that has changed name/owner since we last were there 6 years ago. I've heard rave reviews of Ashiana on Dairy Ashford north of Westheimer, I need to try that out soon.

A great Tapas restaurant is Rioja (on Westheimer). I used to think the one in Rice Village was good, but had a pretty crappy time there last time and it's far enough away to make me never want to go there again.

If you've never tried Ethiopian food, you should. It's a dining experience different from most everything else (no silverware, you eat with bread-like substance). Blue Nile on Richmond (east of S Gessner) was pretty tasty.

There is a 'mini-chain' of Italian places, one opened near our house on Richmond called Collina's Italian Cafe, they have very good food and pizza.

Le Peep on Westheimer (at either Wilcrest or Walnut Bend) great breakfast place, excellent breakfast burritos!

(Can you tell we eat out a lot? I'm making myself drool.)
            "The measure of an education is that you acquire some idea of the extent of your ignorance." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

What I like best at Bubba's BUrger Shack is the Jalapeno Patato Salad!

Taco Milagro at Kirby & Westheimer has great fish tacos, and more types of tequlia than I've seen any one place, except maybe Spec's.
              75gal heavy planted tank
              pea gravel on soil substrate
              DIY CO2
              3 zebra botias, 9 glowlights, 2 yoyo loachs, wild guppies

55gal planted
              same substrate
              DIY CO2
              1 gold, 1 zebra, 4 koi, 2 dark zebra angels, ghost & amano shrimp

Comment

Mama's on westheimer and I don't know.

My Le on 249 in tomball at I don't remember
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I am not a big fan of eating out, I don't like crowds, noise, and my sense of humor gets shorter the older I get, but when I do go out to get a hamburger it will always be at Christians, it is at the intersection of I-10 and Washington on the North east corner by the denny's (never eat there). christians has the best burgers, bar none in Texas.  Never order the double meat and fries unless you weigh over 275lbs, you won't finish it, being a converted ice house, the beer is always cold too.
                  GIVE NONE, TAKE NONE - BE FREE, HAVE FUN

Comment

Chachos; on the north side of Westheimer. a block or 2 west of Augusta ( where the Post Oak "Y" is ,that HAS used to meet at). Great food (Mexican), great prices , NO service- you carry your own tray.

Comment

Rib tickler in tomball.   Great BBQ and chicken sandwitches (wed. Teds chicken fries and a drink for 5 bucks)

Mels Country Kitchen, also in tomball. Huge hamburgers, GREAT chicken friend chicken.
                      n

Comment

If you've never tried Ethiopian food, you should. It's a dining experience different from most everything else (no silverware, you eat with bread-like substance). Blue Nile on Richmond (east of S Gessner) was pretty tasty.
                        Thanks for that, it's been YEARS since I've had Ethiopian!! I'll make a special trip from Clear Lake to hit this up. 8)

Comment

Originally posted by naps";p="
                          Thanks for that, it's been YEARS since I've had Ethiopian!! I'll make a special trip from Clear Lake to hit this up. 8)
                          Hey, since you replied in another thread about being from OH and going to OSU, did you ever try the Ethiopian restaurant on N. High St couple blocks north of Lane Ave, called coincidentally BLUE NILE?  :wink: When my wife left her job at OSU we and some of her colleague friends went out for our 'goodbye' dinner there.
                          "The measure of an education is that you acquire some idea of the extent of your ignorance." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Jakes Philly Steaks near Fountainview on Chimney Rock.

Cafe Red Onion  on 290  - try the Chicken Brasil it's terrific.

Spanish Flowers - great 24 hour place, always busy
                            Drew

Comment

My favorite Chinese restaurant is Jimmy Wok.  It's great, fast service and it's inexpensive.  Lunches are around five bucks and I always have food left to take home.  It's on the corner of Holcome and Greenbriar.  I go there anytime I get the chance.  They have the best fried crab rangoons I've ever had.  I'm starving!
                              58G Malawis
                              10G planted

Comment

Working...
                              X