Guppy Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guppy Help

So I have this guppy that hasn't given birth in about 2 months....

Just yesterday I woke up and she's actually extremely large but I can't tell if she is pregnant or not because her gravid spot is just a bright orange color instead of a black..... all she does is sit in the corner and sometimes goes in a vertical position near my plants... with her tail going straight up.  is she sick or is she about to drop?

Re: Guppy Help

oh yeh... and she keeps having a white strand of something coming out from her rear end....

Comment

maybe eggbound?
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Please go to these two  links and look for head standing and dropsy:

Look for camelanus nematodes:

I am assuming this is not an albino female that she is grey bodied? Are the scales protruding? Does the white strand look like camelanus nematodes? What other fish are in this tank? Try to keep this isolated if you have other tanks. It sounds really bad. Get back with some answers if you can.

max

Comment

How often do you change how much of your water? Do you feed bloodworms? Are other fish affected? How? Are the fish eating well? What do you feed them?

max

Comment

I've been changing the water out 25% every week... once a week, at least but I won't do it two days consecutively.  

The scales on the bottom are protruding already and from what I read at the guppyplace website, it says it might be too late for her :(

I usually feel them the TetraMax tropical fish flakes and I had a fish food I got from Target made by the animal planet store.  There's no way for me to isolate her into another tank right now, so would it be best to let her just stay in there or go ahead and destroy the fish?

Comment

actually... the head-standing bladder infection sounds like it as well.... man, must be one really sick fish

Comment

Are there others to worry about? Do other fish have the white from the anus?

max

Comment

not that i have seen but there is another guppy that is bigger in the abdomen but hasn't dropped any babies since i brought her home early january.

Comment

I would destroy that one fish. I would clean the net afterwards with half bleach and water and then rinse with vinegar and finally with lots of water. I would read up on those ailments and probably do a 30 % water change and then treat with Maricin or MaricineII or tetracycline which ever they or the labels recommend for dropsy and head standing. Keep a close eye on the other female. Keep looking for white from other fishes anus.

max

Comment

thank you

yeh, I think the other fish will be ok... or hope so.  where can I get maricin and those other things?

Comment

Sorry, and you are welcome. Wal Mart, Pet Smart or Co and the real fish stores.

max

Comment

thank you...

:( poor little bugger...

Comment

:(  That's too bad. It's tough when a fish is beyond hope. Let us know how the other female is doing when you can.
                            "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                            X