Some pond pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pond pics

Okay, here it is, quite literally a money pit because I dump all of my extra cash into this hole in the ground, but then again, I'm sure everybody on this board can relate. It's kind of figure 8 shaped with an arched footbridge over the narrow section to add a Japanese touch. There's a "deep" end towards the front and shallower end at the back with a flagstone-lined shelf to make it easier for frogs and turtles to get out of the water. That side also has a small waterfall to act as a return and aerate the water some. Obviously, I need to do some landscaping still, but I get really indecisive when it comes to plants. There's a 7 foot Japanese magnolia about 5 feet away that's going to make good shade one day, and I got a tropical lily in the water. My other ones got rooted up by the koi, so I covered the soil with heavier stones to discourage this. Maybe I'll get some bamboo around there someday. Right now, the water's a little cloudier than I like because all the rain has kicked up all of the pond muck, but getting the elusive "gin-clear" water sought after by so many pond owners is difficult without thousands of dollars in heavy filters and uv sterilizers. I'd like to deepen it eventually, especially when the koi get bigger, but digging in this clay soil was such a pain. Everything after that was a blast, especially when a pond all of sudden started showing up. Any thoughts or suggestions would of course be very much appreciated.

Re: Some pond pics

That looks fantastic!  I'm so envious.  What kind of turtles do you have?  That's another one of my favs.  Did you build the bridge?  It looks really nice.  Bamboo would be a great touch although I've heard it mulitplies quickly.
    58G Malawis
    10G planted

Comment

Really nice looking pond! I think it's pretty clear actually for a pond, also how cold/hot does it get on extreme days?

I had a pond not too long ago with a waterfall but it was an above ground pond that was store bought and layed in dirt/lava rocks.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

It looks very nice. You might want to go on the Houston Livebearers Assciation's safari to Kruckeberg's Eden to get some ideas. It is the best water garden/pond I have seen in the Houston area. This safari is still in the planning stages and it is not for certain that we will do it this year. Be sure to bring your camera if you get a chance to make this trip.

Sorry you missed our safari to the Rainforest Pyramid in Moody Gardens. There are some nice pictures on the HLA website. You might get some ideas looking at those.

There is some nice rock work and gardens at the Bayou Bend Collection in Memorial Park but they don't have much for ponds.

max

Comment

I've got a small map turtle and I think a yellow belly. I used to have a small stinkpot, but he died recently while I was overwintering them in an aquarium. His carapice was cracked, so I think the other turtles might have crushed him while they were jockeying for basking position. I was pretty bummed, but I buried him under the magnolia where I bury other fish or snails that have died. The bridge was a kit that I got from an online store, pretty easy to do and a lot cheaper than a lot of other pond bridges that I saw. And there are certains kinds of bamboo that grow in clumps instead of runners such as Alphonse Karr. Although, I think a bamboo forest in my backyard would be pretty neat. My neighbors would probaby string my up though when their yards get taken over.

I don't have a thermometer in the water, but from touch, the water doesn't ever get to lukewarm I don't think, even on a really hot summer day. I think from all of the shade from the high edging and bridge cover.
          During the winter, it feels like needles. Fish kind of just chill and relax during that time. But even when we had that freeze, the pond did alright. No icing over yet.

And I think seeing some ponds from some pros or even other people would really inspire me some. I don't really get to see too much.

Comment

That's too bad you lost one of your turtles.  Stinkpot's are one of my favorites.  I would like to make a pond just for turtles someday but I know I'd end up adding fish.  Anything that holds water!
            58G Malawis
            10G planted

Comment

I really like what you have doe so far! The bridge is really nice and I like the layout and shape of the pond. 8)

Comment

Turtles should do all right with koi or sarasa comets. They'd dart around too quick for them to get caught. When I was first starting out, I made the mistake of mixing telescope goldfish with a red-ear slider. Big mistake--the fat little guys didn't have a chance. People don't realize how agile turtles are under water. I myself was naiive to think that turtles didn't eat fish. Well of course they do. It's not like Zoo Meds Turtle Treats grow out in the wild. I don't think stinkpots would bother anybody though.

Comment

I've kept red ear sliders and painted turtles in the past and they are a blast.  My red ear was shy but the painted wasn't scared of anything.  I never saw them eat fish but I wouldn't put it past them.  My painted lived with silver dollars, rainbows, danios, and some random tetras and I never lost any.  I could see how a turtle could grab a telescope though.  Not very aerodynamic!
                  58G Malawis
                  10G planted

Comment

Amazing!!!!! With mature landscaping it will be a retreat anyone would love to spend the evening at relaxing. Great job!

Comment

I think the difference in you and the pros is a few decades and a buncha mistakes that they made over the years. Plants don't grow overnight. We, HLA members got to see Moody Gardens but did not really get an inside behind the scenes tour from the people who made the mistakes over the decades. This inside behind the scenes tour with the mistakes pointed out and solutions explained will be available at Kruckeberg's Eden if the HLA  gets to do this safari. There will be an opportunity to ask questions and get answers. If you don't think to ask the right question maybe someone else will. Even looking at the pictures of Moody Gardens would be better than nothing.

max

Comment

I had an eastern painted also. Had a ton of personality. Had a taste for koi food though. Whenever I went to feed the fish, he'd be the first one to the food, then when the koi caught on and got whipped into a feeding frenzy, he'd get spun around like a dreidel and would have to swim to a rock and latch on til it was over.

Thanks everybody for the words. Maybe my thumb will green a little this spring, I'll start scouting for ideas.

Comment

It does look great! Nice job, keep us updated on any changes!
                          "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I have : varigated acoris, yellow Louisiana iris, cypurus, myrophyllum/parrot feather (also available in most ditches),elephant ear (could give shade very fast then throw it away in a couple years), hotensis (bog, like an multicolored ivy-green, cream, and pink), and probably other stuff. Any canna lily or calla lily will live in bog conditions. Let me know if you want any of this.

Comment

I really love ponds. Great Job!!

Comment

Working...
                              X