why did you get into fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why did you get into fish?

Was it a part of philosophy or just the whims of the mind that fish intrest you?

Its both for me - a relaxer and enjoyment from the cats at the house.
    Plecos:
    L083 (Gibby)
    L104 (Clown)
    L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
    L155 (A. Hystrix)
    L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
    LDA72 (BN)
    LDA76 (False Zebra)
    Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
    Rineloricaria lancelota

Re: why did you get into fish?

old memories of the aquarium my parents kept got me into it, and if I were in a ground floor apartment it truly would overrun everything I do

Comment

When I was three the Walmart opened where we live and they were giving out free ten gallon tanks and goldfish for the grand opening.  All the other kids picked one fish and I picked three that I just had to have.  23 years later I still love fish.  I started really getting into them when I was 16 or 17 though.  My ex-boyfriend got a tank for Christmas or his birthday and I fell in love.  I went out a got myself a 10 gallon and 5 tiger barbs and killed them all due to an ignorance to tank cycling.  After that fiasco I kept some danios and tetras for awhile and then the MTS hit me.  Before long I had a new 20 gallon, 15 gallon, another 10, and a few 2 gallons with random fish.  I bought my first "big" tank (a 55) when I got my first apartment.  I could keep going but I think you catch my drift.  
      Back to his original question, it's just the beauty of the fish, watching them swim around is so relaxing.
      58G Malawis
      10G planted

Comment

If I can't sleep, you will find me in front of the tank, ten minutes later, I am crashed in the lazy boy. Even tried to get my doctor to write me a prescription for the fish so I could write it off.
        Brother had a tank, thought that is pretty cool, my kids would like looking at that, after the the first 55g, it has enlarged to a garage to hold the babies. At the beginning, I wasn't aware how easy cichlids breed and the rest is history.

Comment

my pops was really into fish and I got to tag along to the LFS when I was a little one. Eventually it evolved from tagging along to going with him to buy fish and now........ well it has just kept up with the times.
          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

My dad had a tank for as long as I can remember, then we all just got too busy for it. For the longest time we had a gourami (blue, I think) living all by itself. The aquarium was in the dining room, and we were all just waiting for 'Goofy' to die. That fish became the most dog-like fish I have ever seen.   He was a true pet. Then the aquarium got stashed in the garage for a few years until I dusted it off and set it up in my room........

Ellen

Comment

I was also introduced to fish keeping at an early age by my Dad.  Little did I know at the time that what he had was actually what folks today call a fish room.  Except it was in the garage, full of 10 and 20 gallon tanks.  My room was the only room in the house that had a tank in it.  I had a lapse in the hobby myself for about 8 years.  One day I could not longer control the addiction and back I am.  I can rarely tell you what's on TV even though it's on, unless,  it's one of my few favorite shows (CSI's).
              Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

My mom loved fish tanks.  I had them in my room when I was like 3.  Then when I got old enough in 4th grade I got my own 29 gallon tank and thought it was the biggest in the world.  I started keeping oscars and other central americans.  Then in 9th grade I got a 55 gallon and that was like WOW! the biggest ever.  

I kept only large Central Americans until I joined the Navy and got rid of all my fish, but kept the tanks.  When I got out of the Navy I wanted to try Africans.  About two years into that I got introduced to Tropheus and have kept nothing else since then.  Tropheus are awesome.  

I am now wanting to try Petrochromis, but that is not a easy task.
                380G For Sale $3000 Acrylic tank & stand
                300G Petrochromis Trewavasae and Tropheus mpimbwe Red Cheek & Duboisi
                180G For Sale $1,100 Oceanic Cherry with Stand, T5HO Lights, (2) Eheim 2262
                150G Tropheus Annectens Kekese & Ikola

Comment

The world is filled with plenty of stress. Work, traffic and life in general! Fish keeping and my cats are what give me peace in my life. The beauty and gracefullness of the fish will always amaze me. Even tank maintanence,though somtimes dreded, give me peace and a sense of accomplishment in knowing I have provided them with a good enviroment.

Comment

I'm starting my daughter early.  She's almost two.  

My husband got her to say pirana.

58G Malawis
                    10G planted

Comment

My neighbor gave me a pregnant gambusia in a paper dixie cup when I was six or seven and she delivered within a week.

Maybe it was too much about making the hobby pay its own way back then( letting someone else bid down the value of my efforts ) but I will say I quit for college. I got back into it about five years ago to create my own guppy strains. Its all about the science and genetics for me. Well, the club building, HLA is something new, challenging, and social.

max

Comment

It all started when Dad brought home a 10 gallon tank with two comet goldfish and two fantails...
                        - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

i was into reptiles an sharks since i can remember, then at 15 i got a job at a fish store. after learning as much as i could and working there i got a little eclipse system 6. which i still have i might add. and now have been on and off wih fish for years (had salt for a while too) and i still keep reptiles (2 snakes) you name the pet (common ones nad uncommon) i have had a version of it. but something about controling a little world and taking care of it. it just makes me feel good.
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President
                          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

My mom had 3 tanks when I was a little girl with guppies, mollies and angelfish and lots of babies! When we moved to another state she traded them in at the pet store for a pedigreed poodle puppy for me.

No more fish in my life until my daughter won a fish at a carnival. Turned into my fish and was so happy to see me when I was in the kitchen (the fish was on a bar between the dining room and kitchen.) That fish lasted about a year.

No more fish until I started having some panic attacks and blood pressure issues, so my husband bought me a little tank for our bedroom. Had that for 4 or so years and loved it. Then last June I won this 55g at Aquarium World. I love it - he's not so sure. I think he's jealous!

Through my life I have had dogs, cats (always cats), gerbils, iguanas, cockateils, finches, parakeets, other birds that I rescued, raised and released, an orphaned squirrel, turtles and a rabbit. The only thing I will NEVER have as a pet is a tarantula - creepy critter. I'm not opposed to peaceful snakes, but my DH would cr*p in his pant if I brought one of them in the house!

Comment

My older brother had a tank and wanted to get rid of it. So i took the tank and the fish which i later gave away to a friend that was into tanks. Had betta tanks for a while but didnt get into haveing a larger tank till about a year ago. For me its relaxing and doesnt aggravate my allergies.

Comment

Working...
                              X