PETA Investigates Petsmart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PETA Investigates Petsmart

I discovered today that peta sent undercover agents (read that as Employees there under false pretenses) and had them take pictures of the store with their cell phones and cameras of animals in the sick room. if you read the reports they make they discuss how the animlas were treated. they say that over 100 animals were neglected but they have only specific pictures of a few animals, and the only ones listed were small animals. having worked in pet stores for almost a decade i know how easy it is for lets say a hamster to die. even while treated properly. we all know that simple giving medicine to fish doesnt always save them. and no you dont need to take a hamster to the vet for wettail. there is nothing more they can give it except t put it on i fluids and since peta runs a shelter of their own that is a kill shelter they certainly would not do that for an animal that far gone. but what gets me is they are mad at a company that does at least try to treat its animals that get sick (it says they dont, trust me you get fired if they find out you are not doing your job back there i know people that were) i have seen them spend hundreds o dollars treating animals that had to be adopted out that they made no money on at all.

plus the pictures are very misleading. they have close up of animals and you dont know whether they were in petsmart or not so could be falsified. plus they had pictures of animals that had been killed by their own kind. anyone who has rodents can tell you they can be very very violent. many claims were made with no proof. and what gets me is that their own site where i read said article and looked at pictures, does not have anyway of emailing them unless you want to join, that seem very biased since i know petsmart at least has a complaint department (which they take very seriously, a few corparate complaints on a store manager and they are gone, one or two on an assoiciate and your toast) they also have one for customer happy feedback. they are open to hear from people so tey can know whats really going on. i have seen cruelty to animals, i have seen unclean stores and bad work environments in the pet industry. it seems counterproductive for an organization about animal rights to go after one that helps adopt pets out (through local shelters) and that will spend hundreds of dollars on treating an animal when it finds a problem that can be treated. sometimes animals cant be saved but you cant hold that against the people treating them. i guess the biggest thing that got me was they went in under false pretenses, Peta will back up what its investigators did until its time for the lawsuit, and since what petsmart does (as in treating its animals instead of putting them down, even if thier condition gets worse) is not legally or too my sense of morally(and i am an animal lover in everysense, i love keeping them, eatin and wearing   )  wrong thn what Peta did is Slander plain and simple. plus industrial espionage.

ok thats my rant. i understand if your opinion isnt the same as me, but secretly spying on someone and take photos only of bad conditions and not going into the good of the place (as in totally biased ) is always wrong to me. and stupid.
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Re: PETA Investigates Petsmart

oh it wasnt my store, it was one in conneticutt i think and arizona
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President

Comment

I started to write a comment but I will refrain since this is a public community.

I hate it when things are misleading to the public and when situations are blown out of proportion. I hope that this fiasco stunt does not effect your livelihood Tiapan....

:evil:
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

you can pm the comment if it will make you feel better, kinda why i was ranting  i feel much better sharing with the public.
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President

Comment

Peta, the same people gripping about the NBA using leather in making basketballs. Not that the intension are bad but those people are whack jobs. If they had there way, we would be eatting soy burgers and veggie steaks. Not to mention, the would love to prevent me from shooting deer.

Comment

I worked at both Petsmart and Petco many years ago.  The Petsmart was in Oklahoma.  It was a very clean store and there was a list of animal care duties that were to be carried out daily.  I don't remember many casualties (other than fish).  Now Petco was an entirely different story.  I worked at one here in Texas over the summer and it was a nightmare.  We were to help customers first and animal care came second.  I was actually told this by the store manager.  The employees weren't abusive but the management didn't allow for time for animal care (feeding, cage cleaning, etc).  When I quit the corporation contacted me to see why I quit and I explained about the poor management.  Needless to say, the manager was replaced.  
            Plus all the Petsmarts I've been to are pretty clean compared to the Petcos-some are dreadful.  
            Don't even get me started on PETA.  Sorry to hear that Tiapan.
            58G Malawis
            10G planted

Comment

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Originally posted by Tiapan";p="
                    and what gets me is that their own site where i read said article and looked at pictures, does not have anyway of emailing them unless you want to join, that seem very biased since i know petsmart at least has a complaint department (which they take very seriously, a few corparate complaints on a store manager and they are gone, one or two on an assoiciate and your toast) they also have one for customer happy feedback.
                    Here's some contact info for them... it's at least a place to start.
                    People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is the largest animal rights organization in the world, with more than 3 million members and supporters.

Comment

The Petco on I45 exit 67/68 is the cleanest Petco/Petsmart ive been in.

Walmarts are the ones people need to be bothered about.

Comment

Like ek said, I don't want to comment too much, but I do have something to say for the other side...

I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now. And yes, I was once a supporting member of PETA. No one is immune to making mistakes, especially those that come out of extreme emotional circumstances. Just look at what us fish keepers say when we find out that a LFS is selling dyed fish...that thread usually gets a great number of responses in a short time. Now think if, with our views and opinions about the practice of dyeing fish, we had to be exposed to it every day, and most times to some of the more excessive cases. When you witness this day in and day out, wouldn't you start getting angry? Do you ever get upset when you see a case of someone blatantly disregarding the welfare of their fish? Aren't we (aquarists) as a group even now supporting campaigns against the treatment and misinformation that some of the chain stores employ?

I am in no way saying that PETA is right, or that they are wrong. The responsible people out there who do actually care often get scooped up into a category in which they don't belong (I WILL say that, in my opinion, PETA has an incredibly erroneous view of us hobbyists).

That said, PETA seeks out abuses with which they don't agree, and attempts to do something about it. A lot of people don't agree with PETA, and don't hesitate to express this viewpoint. Both sides go to extremes due to the emotional undertones the issue seems to unveil. However, from my standpoint, a lot of the anti-PETA opinions don't stem from an honest attempt at stating intelligently what they don't support (unlike Tiapan, who sincerely thought about the situation and responded in a very honorable way).

That's all I'm going to say. I hope I haven't offended anyone. Just wanted to state my opinion.  :)
                        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I'm all for treating animals "ethically" but PETA is just too extreme.  It's like they have no real-world common sense.  If someone steps on a bug they get all in a wad.  Their intentions are admirable and I'm sure many of their causes are justified.  But the extreme stances they sometimes take and the outrageous stunts they pull to attract attention undermines their credibility.  People just start to see them as a bunch of liberal loonies (like Greenpeace.)  They might not get as much attention but they'd probably actually accomplish more if they were a little more moderate.

Comment

My question is "How did they get jobs at Petsmart for this sting operation?" That doesn't make sense to me.

My Petsmart, on 290, is very nice, well staffed, happy animals. I don't take everything the fish people tell me to be facts - have to do your homework! They have mislead me more than once, but that's my fault really.

I was looking at their parakeets and they look really good. Thinking about getting a companion for my anti-people parakeet. They cost more than I'd like to spend but they look very healthy and happy.

Now the Petco on 290 and 43rd - well . . . I only buy supplies there if they are on sale! Peta should check that place out.

Comment

Mzungu not eatting meat is your choice, and I am down with you making that choice, however them nuts at Peta would prefer to make the choice for us instead of us making a choice. If a store is selling crappy fish or animals, I don't call peta, I simply take my $ money where the pets aren't kickin over in the tank or cage. If they aren't making money they don't have a store and they quit mistreating the animals.** eklikewhoa where did you find my picture with all the rabbits I shot? Just playing. I don't take the time to take pics of the animals I kill; shoot, cut&clean, freeze, and eat. MMM tasty!!

Comment

Working...
                              X