Help me ID a fish I saw pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me ID a fish I saw pls

I saw a long, reddish color african cichlid over at Fish Ranch about 2 months ago.........if you've been there, you can't miss them because Mike had about 4 of these fish.  He even had 1 breeding pair.  I think the cost was about $200+ a fish.

What are these fish?
    180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Re: Help me ID a fish I saw pls

how long is long?

the only red thing i have seen at that price was the amazing looking flowerhorn.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

ek, the fish was about 9" long.  Mike usually keeps them separately.  He did have a mated pair.  They are pretty rare/exotic.
      180g Oceanic w/colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05 & numerous fry. 1 F1 adult moba male. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson ETC.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Comment

9" long...how tall? Was it shaped like a pike cichlid, or like a large mbuna...? Just trying to get a picture in my head.  :)
        "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
          9" long...how tall? Was it shaped like a pike cichlid, or like a large mbuna...? Just trying to get a picture in my head.  :)
          yes, like a pike cichlid.....about 2 1/2" to 3" high max.  The name on the tank was nothing I had ever seen before.

Comment

Wow, I have no idea...but I did find a cool ID page, maybe it can help narrow it down?

If not, I think it's a good thing to have on hand.  :)

Comment

was it in the last isle closest to the windows Ron? i could call him and ask.
              700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i broke down and called Fish Ranch.......boy was I way off.

First, you were right--it's a pike cichlid..........not african cichlid (oops), but a south american cichlid.

They didn't give me the exact name, but here's a pic.  check out the red one.

PICTURE

does anyone on this site keep this fish?  they are pretty cool.

they go for $200 plus and can get over 12".  Thanks for all your help.

Comment

man i think they would need a massive tank!!
                  700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Oh, wow! Well I'm glad you called!  :emtthumbs:

Comment

Those two prs (if Im thinking of the right fish) were Crenicichla sp. 'Cobra Tapojos.'
                      - When Life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make Life take the damn lemons back!

Comment

That is one cool looking fish.
                        58G Malawis
                        10G planted

Comment

sounds like a lot of moeny for fish that wont spawn. but they do indeed look great
                          Never fear I is here
                          David Abeles
                          Vice President
                          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Originally posted by a_Vertigo_Guy";p="
                            Those two prs (if Im thinking of the right fish) were Crenicichla sp. 'Cobra Tapojos.'
                            yes, you are right!!!!!!  What do you think about them?

These are pikes........right?

Comment

Crenicichla are Pike cichlids.  I had 4 "Xingu" pikes a few years back.  They were really cool fish to have, but they were fairly aggressive to the others in the tank with them.  I had them in my 210 convicts, synspilums, and a large breeding pair of salvinis.  In amongst all of that aggression they weren't scared of anyone.  If you have a large tank available to hold them, you won't be let down if you get them.

They won't live with your Moba. :wink:
                              Join us at
                              http://www.allworldcichlids.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X