MY NEW TANK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY NEW TANK

Well, i finnaly did it. I set up a tank specifically for african cichlids. Scott will be rejoicing. except that it wont hold malawi. its a Tang tank. it has been up a few days and i just put in its new tenants. 6 julis. they are either transcriptus gombi or marlini gombe whichever it is they look like the gombi variety. i m tempted to say that they are transcriptus simply because of size. All the other marlini are 5 inches. anyway they seem to be doing great so far. moving about and about in the tank between the holey rock. i should have pictures up soon. the tank is not that large. (hence the smaller julis) its a 55 gallon with a marineland 30 double sided over the back and a fluval 204 canister running on it. so lots of filtration. i plan on doing at least a 10 percent to 20 hopefully weekly (likely close to 10 percent then) any suggestions from tang keepers let me know. shell dwellers or cyps are probably my next look towards buying.
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Re: MY NEW TANK

i would do more water change probably close to 30-40%, i am somewhat overstocked and that % keeps the nitrate down to a min like tangs like it.

shelldwellers are the shizznit!! i dont think anyone should be without them if there's a tang tank!

congrats on the new tank!!!! its a great feeling when its all done too, then you can start on the next one
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Great, how exciting! Can't wait to see pictures!  
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

well i added some more rock and new fish to the tank. 6 brichardi (neolamp.) and there is a syno petricola in there too now. no one has died and have done first water change with no stress apparent. here are some pics of the tank. i think i am going to change the hood to a glass top and add more light because the vals arent doing too well. so more light and i hope they do better. if not will try different java fern and some anubias (got plenty lying around in different tanks).
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President

Comment

edit.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President

Comment

Very nice! :wink:

Comment

Looking good!
              58G Malawis
              10G planted

Comment

looks good!

are you going to add more rocks in there?
                700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

yeah slowly but surely i will. i go out and find lighter pieces so it wont be too much weight to distribute.i added 7 pieces today and they were only 9 lbs total.
                  Never fear I is here
                  David Abeles
                  Vice President

Comment

did you put something underneath to distribute the weight some?

my friend has a colony of brichardi's in a 55g hex and he has holey rock all along the sides and back of the tank going almost to the top and it looks really nice! the brichardi's like it too cause they breed non-stop!!! i think he has like 8 generations in there.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

i put more flat and many spaced rock. there is not alot of weight at all right now. less then 30 lbs of rock and none of it is resting really on top of each other. it wil never be all the way full, maybe about a third up.
                      Never fear I is here
                      David Abeles
                      Vice President

Comment

Well never have i been known to over do it (ha ha yeah right) but i managed to find some Cyprichromis leptosoma (Mpulungu) for a really really good price. so i got 8 of them. i know its not a huge school but they sould be fine in my tank lol. at least 3 are starting to color up as males. and  if a few more do well darn. anyway all the fishes are doing great as of now and i am going to go do another water change. will keep you posted
                        Never fear I is here
                        David Abeles
                        Vice President

Comment

Should you ever need someone to take those off your hands... :wink:

how many more fish are you gonna add?
                          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

i think the tank is pretty good right now. the fish seem to not be getting too aggressive. they are acively eating though the brichardi are a little food dominant. Hey Tim what temperature do you keep your 210 Tang tank at. i read something online that the cyp males dont show color in water over 75 degrees. and i know you have at least a couple colored up. so let me know. oh as future fish i want at least one type of shell dweller in the tank. either multis or golden ocelatus. i think the oces would hold their on better but mulits are soooo cool.
                            Never fear I is here
                            David Abeles
                            Vice President

Comment

here is a pic of the cyps. they may be utinta im not sure, will have to wait and see what they color up as. they arent yet just several showing coloring on their fins (a little bit of yellow) cant see that in the pic though.
                              Never fear I is here
                              David Abeles
                              Vice President

Comment

Working...
                              X