Is anyone familiar with Chronic Wasting Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone familiar with Chronic Wasting Disease

If you are what have you done to treat it?

Re: Is anyone familiar with Chronic Wasting Disease

Are you referring to the tetra?
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Yes, but another one is looking like that as well. I just did a water test (the Master kit) and my nitirtes 0, ammo 0, ph 7.2, nitrates 10, and oxygen was 2mg (a bit low the kit said.)

After you left the other night I did about a 25% water change, took out all the plastic plants and added the new ones. The tank looks lovely! AND all the spots have come off of the little clown loach. I did not add more salt, and I think I should go ahead and keep the temp. up to 82 for at least another week. What do you think?

Comment

i call it fish HIV.

not positive what causes it.

my theory is a strain of Costia or Trichodina, but am not sure of that.

have seen this more common recently in LFSs & experienced it twice myself in the last 5 years due to (i believe): one-rapid quarantine cycle, two-playing in the garden then not rinsing my hands well before cleaning a filter pad.  although, there is always the possibility that tap water from the city is contaminated.

here is a link  to a good article via goolge cache:
        http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=2  

formalin and copper mix seem to work well w/ jungle's parasite clear.  must stress that it is highly important to follow-up with second dose in 48hrs then third dose in 1 week.

also would recommend that you attempt to sterilize EVERY thing that came in contact with the offending aquarium water & water splashings (nets, hoods, lightbulbs, algea scrapers, etc...).  a lite solution of bleach and water is economical, use vinegar to nuetralize bleach, final rinse in standard tap.  If you have tile flooring, bleach it around the aquarium site.

fyi - if the fish have gotten to the point where malnutrition is highly evident (loss of body mass, eyes sunk in) expect to lose it.  never seen any fish make it back from that - even the big ones go down in rapid fashion.

good luck, and be persistent.

Comment

This could be tuberculosis or parasites. I would be very reluctant to handle these fish. If the body is severly wasting I destroy these fish.

max

Comment

MultiFry - I have clown and zebra loaches, so I don't think I should use anything copper based. Isn't that correct?

Max - I think it is parasites, since I just got over a case of Ich.

If I use a medication, I know to take the carbon filter out, but I also have a bio ring filter in there - do I take that out as well?

Comment

i never had issue with copper on scaleless or corals.  I have some horse face loaches, they take it like champs.

loaches are affected by malachite green.

Comment

I would use levamisole. I feed the poweder to BBS. They die and the fish eat the dead BBS. I have all this if you need any help to make it happen let me know.

max

Comment

after a google research look-up regarding copper and loaches, i have some mixed interpretation.

seems some think copper is a very bad idea on scaleless fish.

others seem to have no problem using copper solutions.

variant concensous might be something to do regarding ? chelted copper vs striaght copper ? i'm no chem engineer, so not clear what difference would be?  

guess it's really up to you to weigh the investment vs risk & reward.  In my experience, i haven't had issue with copper on my loaches.

you could always just try the jungle stuff or formalin.  Max has the end all solution.

good luck.  please keep us posted on progress/end results.

Comment

Yes, I am confused too! I have the loaches, a bunch of tetras, a couple BN plecos, 2 false siamensis, and 4 shrimp.

Having said that I have a hard time figuring out what is safe and what is not. That is why I start with heat and salt when it comes to Ich. I have on hand Quick Cure (formalin and malachite green) and Aquarisol (copper salts). I have used the Aquarisol with water changes at a reduced dose and so far so good.

So do I take the bio rings out or not?

Comment

Well, daisy, I am going to vote against medicating. All of your fish seem to be doing well, which other one looks bad? I'm glad the clown is healthy!

But, I guess what I'm trying to say is, since all of your fish are doing well, except this one, and he's been like this pretty much since you've had him...I'd leave the tank as is. Sometimes medicating can do more harm than good. If you do decide to do anything, have you thought about moving him (them) into the 2.5 gallon?

Glad you got all the plastic out!!  :rock:
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The levamisole definately might kill the shrimp!

max

Comment

Well, I found a neon hanging out under the root, and that other little guy has dissappeared - need to take the intake tube off, I'm afraid. I just worry. ANother of the silver tipped is looking a bit odd, too.

Comment

Max,

I don't have any levamisole, anyway!

Comment

If you want some I have it and I can put it in my BBS for you and have it ready tommorrow evening.

max

Comment

Working...
                              X