Sword plant - what is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sword plant - what is this?

I've got a sword plant in one of my tanks, I can't remember what kind, sorry! I've had it for probably about 2 years. But about a week ago there was a weird new stem/stalk/something that appeared. I don't know what it is. It started out of the middle of the rosette, and steadily grew taller, and now it's trying to poke out of the tank through the hole by the filter outlet. I was under the impression that swords sent off plantlets on runners, is that right? If so, then this doesn't look like a runner. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks. And I have more pictures, but didn't bring them with me today, so I'll post them tomorrow if needed.  :)

Oh, it's the thing with the reddish stalk and green leaves right in front of the filter intake.
    "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: Sword plant - what is this?

You know MB that the only info I have about aquatic plants is what you have told me, but I do know a lot about tropical plants, and that looks like a shoot. I would pinch a piece off and plant it just to see what happens. It doesn't look like a bloom, and I think some swords send out shoots, but don't take my word for it!

Comment

Thanks! I'll try that in a few days. I want to see if it can make it up out of the tank first.   :)

Comment

Are you sure its a sword...the leaves in that pic look kind of wavy like an Aponogeton ulvaceous.
        --Charles
        Charles Jones
        http://www.breitbart.tv/obama-dems-i...unders-intent/

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
        Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

No clue! I'll look up that aponogeton and see...!

Comment

Now that I think about it i think the spelling might be ulvaceus.
            Charles Jones

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
            Guns are responsible for killing people much the way pencils are responsible for misspelling words.

Comment

Do all aponogetons go through a dormant phase?

Comment

Not sure if all do...but I know a lot do. The runner I saw in the pic also looked somewhat typical of some Aponogetons.
                Charles Jones

Comment

Found it! Interestingly enough, I found it while I was looking up aponogetons. It's an Echinodorus martii, aka ruffled sword. It's very similar to a lot of aponogetons, though! What tipped me off was a picture of a shoot from E. martii that looks exactly like the one in my tank (oh, and the fact that I couldn't seem to remember it having a bulb).

It's grown even more and now has little buds near the nodes (if that's what they are...).

Comment

Just wanted to share some more pictures. I got a new camera for my birthday, and I can't stop taking them!    It's moved to the front of the tank, as of yesterday afternoon, so it didn't go through the top's opening like I'd hoped...oh well. You can see the little bud things in most of them, too.  :)

Comment

do you have a pict of your whole tank?
                      There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Great shots! And a belated Happy Birthday!  :dance:  When was it?

Comment

Hmm...Lemme look to see if I have a picture of the whole tank...

D: Thanks! It was Oct. 29th. Camera was a complete surprise!  :mrgreen:

Comment

I know you have been wanting one really bad, and I'm glad you got it! The photos are excellent - what kind of camera is it? My daughters bday was 10/23.

Those shoots almost look like they could be blooms. Where did you see the photo of them? I was looking around for it.

Comment

I don't have one of the whole tank, but it's finally beginning to take off. Over the past few months it's had its share of problems...To add to the fact that the only fish in there LOVE to eat the plants, I very wisely added some columbian ramshorn snails, who quickly demolished what the tetras hadn't already.  :eh:  So I had some experimenting going on, and I think I've finally found the plants that grow fast enough and aren't their favorites. However, they're kinda strewn about, no use aquascaping when there's an excellent chance the new plants will disappear within hours. Anyways....I'm planning on rearranging this weekend, at last! So I'll take some pictures then.

On a side note, it's been taking off, but the ramshorns have apparently also noticed this, so in the course of rearranging I'll be removing a large clump of eggs they laid.  

Comment

Working...
                              X