I just got fussed at by a hummingbird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got fussed at by a hummingbird

I thought they were already gone for the season, so I haven't filled the feeders in awhile. So I'm standing by one of the empty feeders and this little guy flies right up to my face and chirps his disgust at me, then zips off! So I filled the feeder!  I wonder if he will come back.

Re: I just got fussed at by a hummingbird

haha <lol>    :)
    <I LOVE OSCARS>

Comment

How cute!    I miss having bird feeders.... :(
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Don't fill the feeder because it apparently encourages them to stay here too late!
        Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

Originally posted by RussGB";p="
          Don't fill the feeder because it apparently encourages them to stay here too late!
          I've also heard that.  I don't put out feeders as I have plenty of natural hummer attracting plants in my yard.
          Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Keeping the feeders full does not affect their migration - that's jsut a myth. Here is a link to show you

There are actually a few ding-dong hummers that will hang out here practically year round - but that is only heresay. I've never seen it myself.

Comment

Cool!

I am still chuckling over you getting savaged by a humming bird I can see it now, animal control, dart guns, beaters and men on elephants chasing down the savage man-eater :rolf:
              Russ

My other hobby?Vroom![b]

Comment

They can be very aggressive little cusses. Last year I had so many that they would swarm around me when the feeders were empty. It was like being attacked my big bugs! Call the Swat team - the hummers are mad!

They don't really chirp - it's more like a sharp click noise, and they are quick to fuss if they are unhappy. They are also so mean to each other. The sit and watch the feeder they have claimed and if another gets near it, they dive boom the intruder until they fly away. Then they go and sit and watch some more. Funny little things!

Comment

We had a nest in the honey suckle vine when I was a boy and my father got too close. She made a few circles around his head maybe a foot away real fast and he retreated lol.

max

Comment

My parent's have some that are there almost year round. Last year they were only missing for a couple of months. We have a shrimp plant in our front yard that they are in love with!

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the garage, and I looked up to see one pecking at the red garage door release handle. It was pretty funny!

Ellen

Comment

So cute! Has anyone ever held one? I used to see them every once in a while in my front yard in Florida, but a couple of times when I went to work, the restaurant owner next door (the face of the restaurant was all glass windows) had brought in a hummingbird that had accidentally flown into the glass and was knocked out. (Since we were a "pet supply store," I guess he thought we would know what to do?) They're amazingly small! But, after putting them in a safe place outside, they always woke up and flew away.  
                      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Wow, no we were afraid of them after she fussed at my father.

max

Comment

Mzungu,

I got to hold one last year. My crippled cat, Levi, had one in his mouth and I ran over to get it out. Poor hummer, it was too late for that one, but Levi just sat there and didn't run off. I realized he had another one under his paw, so I got it out from under there thinking it was dead. It laid in my hand for a couple seconds and then took off like a bat out of hell! Such tiny creatures they are. And so soft. What amazes me is the amount of spunk they have. You get the idea that they are dainty little birds and in reality they are little dynamos that don't put up with much!

Comment

Working...
                          X