No announcement yet.

Thinking of selling everything fishy!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of selling everything fishy!!

Help! I am thinking of selling everything I have. I can't decide what to do. I don't like where the tank is located in our new house. Water changes are going to be more difficult. I have to get the water change barrel off the back porch which means I need about 75ft of hose to reach it in the garage. I love my tank. I don't think I can even get half my money back out of the whole wet up. Any suggestions?
    Smokin_Cache
    Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
    Lets see what the imagination fruits.
    Check out my last tank

Re: Thinking of selling everything fishy!!

Please don't! You've worked so hard to get it where it is.

Comment

you always regret selling something that is your hobby.

trust me i know and continue to have the same problem. gun hobby-sell off things i tell myself i wont use or need anymore for less than what i paid and end up buying again. i sold one custom build that was a retro and now i cant source some of the parts. car hobby- sold the car in my avatar and now regret having to cause i built the car when i had my shop so all parts were wholesale priced and the kit on it was a custom made from japan for me.

i would try and figure a way around it. probably get a pump to leave inside the drum and run a hose to the tank or something.
      700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

That is exactly what I was thinking. Sell now and buy again later. Then I got a tank that in one way or another cost twice as much because of the loss on this one.
        Smokin_Cache
        Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
        Lets see what the imagination fruits.
        Check out my last tank

Comment

start again ... smaller ... 55 gallons, or even 30 ... and go specialized tanks.

Though .. if you are selling ... I'll take your Co2 stuff and your ehiem :)

Seriously ... perhaps a couple smaller tanks will be just as satisfying as one big tank and ... and more accomodating as well.

logan5
          There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Its hard to get out of a hobby you've spent years perfecting. I raced my bike in highschool all over the country. won 3 Jr national championships. But quit after highschool when it stopped being fun.  I've now got enough bikes and carbon fiber to start my own team.
            "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
            n

Comment

:(  I say don't do it!

So, is the reason you don't like where the tank is located only because of the difficulty of water changes? Or are there other reasons? I say list them if there are, and we can maybe convince you otherwise. If you can see any kind of light at the end of the tunnel, in my opinion stick with it a little more, just because like so many others have said, it's horrible regretting that you gave up something, especially having to buy it all again.
              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

I say go ahead & sell it. Then you can buy something a few gallons smaller to put into the space you have.

Oh by the way I have a nice 75 that would fit perfectly on the wall next to the garage.
                Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Oh NO! This has been like a group project and I know you love it. Why don't you get 75' of hose? Is that a big deal, or are you just frustrated in general? You just moved - take some time to assimilate it all, and then re-think it.

I have had some problems and was about ready to through in the towel, but I know if I do I will regret it forever, so . . .

Comment

i think its just stress from moving into a new home.

give it some time and kick back a brewsky or two.
                    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'd take ek's idea and run with it   .

Surely between all the great minds here we can come up with alternatives to completely getting rid of everything.
                      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

go back to a low tech set up..  get something easy and pretty... 1 discus, few tetras, basic test equipment. and a tank small enough to do water changes in a bucket. A few plants to keep nitrates managable. 1-2 WPG so algae, plant growth, and nutrients aren't taking up too much time.

And sell me the CO2! I'm just getting started.

Actually.. keep the CO2. it makes keeping any plants easier.. and maintainance.. never have to worry about ph.  and If you get back into the hobby you'll be glad you don't have to buy it again.

Or is maintainance on the CO2 and ph meter a chore?
                        "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" -- Benjamin Frankli
                        n

Comment

i dont see how pressurized can be so tedious, im running diy and dont get fustrated to the point where i want to sell everything.

i actually get frustrated and want to upgrade the tank to a bigger one and go pressurized! 8O
                          700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

I'd love Regulated CO2.. mostly cause I want very stable PH for the discus I want to get. and in the size tank I have DIY doesn't work so well.

Though I have heard the PH probes may require frequent calibration.. and have a usefull life of only 18 months.
                            n

Comment

Even if you would like to take a break for awhile and get past the stress of moving, why does that mean you have to sell everything?  Sell the fish, tear the rest down, clean it up, dry it out, and store it for a little while.  In 3 months, or 6 months, see how you feel.  If you've been missing it then you can start it up again with very little expense.  If, after the break, you still don't want to get back into it THEN sell it.  I've made many poor decisions while frustrated, tired, depressed, or stressed.  Time has a way of healing us if we can only find the patience to let it work.

Comment

Working...
                              X