Looking for Stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Stores

First I wanted to say hello and man am I glad I stumbled upon this forum!  

My husband and I as well as my brother and his family are becoming obsessed with African Cichlids, mostly the Malawi's, and we have been trying to find other and/or better stores in the Houston area that may specialize more in QUALITY Africans.  We regularly visit Tropical Fish Depot as it is the closest to our home since we are in the Southeast Houston area.  There is another store on Hwy 3 that we visit regularly but I don't remember the name of it at the moment but I find they never have any selection that we can purchase or that we would want to purchase.   Tropical Emporium on Fuqua is a very nice store that we visit often but they don't have a large Cichlid selection.  It is getting frustrating for us since we go every weekend and we are tired of the same stores with the same limited selection.  

Anyone know of some stores we could check out this weekend that may have nice quality fish and a better selection on the Southeast side of Houston?  And of course if not in that area, anywhere in Houston? LOL  

We have a 105 gallon w/ mixed Africans and a 29 community tank and my brother just had a custom 123 tank built and he is slowly stocking it with some nice fish but has been limited on selection and quality.  I hope you all can help us out!!

Re: Looking for Stores

Also forgot to mention that we are more than willing to buy from Individuals in the area but not real sure how to go about looking for someone who is a breeder in the area.  I am very fond of the Mbunas and my husband prefers Peacocks and other similar fish.  Right now they are mixed in our 105 but we will be splitting them when we get our 160 gallon in a few months and have separate tanks.  Feel free to email me if you or someone you know might be able to help us out!  Thanks!

Comment

Welcome  to HFB     Lemme be the 1st to chime in and recommend Sunny's Fish & Pets simply because Mike over there will do his best to get pretty much ANY kind of fish ur lookin for if he doesn't already have it.  Even any kind of aquarium supply/fish food.  Sunny's Fish & Pets is near Beltway / Veteran's Memorial, so it might be a bit of a drive.  Very much worth it tho.

Look up the store address/phone number in the Member Map.  It's on Points of Interest under Supporters.  It's also scrolling on the left side of the homepage under Supporters.

Comment

HI! I am southeast as well. Scarsdale and Blackhawk area. I too suffer from the same issues that you have, no excellent fish stores on the southeast side that have African Cichlids.  The store on Highway 3 had a very nice selection of Malawi's when I visited their store. They are a supporter of this site so let me get their name right quick.

Yes, Aqua Zoo near Bay Area Blvd on Highway 3. Dont let the outside fool you. This store surprised me when I went in with it's nice selection of africans.

Outside the Southeast is where you want to go. Alex has a bunch of Tang Lake Cichlids, Sunny's is a must see for Malawi's, and what's the store on 290 with the large brackish tanks? Aquarium World. My brother's favorite fish store. He, my brother, is into Malawian Peacocks as well.  http://www.aquariumworld.net/

Doc.
        Fish, Fish, & more Fish.

Comment

Here is a good list of stores, but not all will have a good selection. Sunny's I know for sure can special order if you have something in mind. Tropical Emporium and AquaZoo can probably do it too. They are sponsors on this site and are always very helpful to our members. Just ask them.

HoustonFishBox is an online community dedicated to bringing together people and their fish in Houston, Southeast Texas, and beyond.

Comment

There are a lot of cichlid breeders on  this side of town. what specific one are you looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by docmump";p="
              HI! I am southeast as well. Scarsdale and Blackhawk area.
              I don't know......
              How far north do you need to be, to be considered a Yankee ?
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Alex has a bunch of Tang Lake Cichlids
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but u mean Alex at Ultimate Fish on 2920/Rhodes, right?  If ur gonna be that far north, might as well stop by Fish R Us all the way up on 242 east of i45.  They consistently have a large selection of Malawis.

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                  HI! I am southeast as well. Scarsdale and Blackhawk area.
                  I don't know......
                  How far north do you need to be, to be considered a Yankee ?
                  Living above I10 is Yankee land.
                  Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                  Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                  Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

You should post which fish you are in search of and more than likely someone in the forum  will have some or know where to get them.  Most of us fish people dont mind having people over to talk, trade, buy or sell fish.  You will be surprise,most of us started with one tank and  now have multiple tanks and a better selection than your normal pet store.  Hope you find what you are looking for

Comment

Thank you all very much for your help.  Looks like I will have to travel a little! LOL  Oh well, I am sure it will be worth it.  I really enjoy the stores we have been to, including the one on Hwy 3 but I guess we are just searching for more.  Since we are still learning about the Africans we don't really have anything specific that we are looking for.  My husband and brother are especially fond of the various Peacocks but my sister in law and myself prefer the Mbunas such as the Demasoni and Red Tops and the Zebras, etc.  

Thanks again for the warm welcome and all your help!

Comment

Working...
                      X