Dog agility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog agility

I was wondering if anybody here does agility with their dogs? I have a JRT-mix who loves to run and play. There is a place 2 min. from here that does all kinds of dog training, including beginner, intermediate, and advanced agility training. She has never had any formal "dog school" because I feel I have a grip on how to train my animals. (Both of my dogs are well socialized, so that's not a problem.) You don't have to have any kind of training to go to the beginner agility class. They used to require you to take at least one obedience class, but they do the beginner class on leash now, so you can just jump right in. I was wondering if anybody could give me some pointers on what she needs to know before I sign her up for this class. I know they will teach us everything we need to know, but I'd like her to have a head-start. She knows sit, down, and stay. She also listens to me very well and doesn't run (they both go out all the time without leashes). Is there anything else I can teach her to be sure she has fun at this? It looks like we're not going to be able to take the class until the spring because I have such a heavy course-load this semester, so I have lots of time to work with her.

Thanks!
    Ellen

Re: Dog agility

Hi Ellen,
    Glad to hear your thinking about agility for your pup.  It is an incredible, fun sport and is a great way to bond with your dog.  

I started agility training with my rescue Australian Shepherd in Jan. of 2005.  We competed for the first time in October 2005 and in July at the Reliant Dog Show earned our 4th title.  We're now moving up to the Excellent Division in AKC.

Maggie came to me with some obedience training, but never went through a formal class.  She has excellent recall and sits, downs and stays.  Her heeling is pretty bad, but then I never require it so, it's just not an issue.  

For right now, you can do things like take your dogs to the local playground and get them on some of the equipment (stairs, slides, tunnels, etc.)  Use lots of happy praise and they'll learn it's a fun game to do with mom.  The tunnels at kids' playgrounds are great and you can start associating the word "tunnel" with it too.  If there are ladders, teach them to climb the ladder.  It's a great exercise for teaching them where their feet are.  Get some PVC pipe and set up a small jump to teach them "over"  Make sure the height is appropriate for your dogs' sizes and ages.  Dogs under a year should not be jumping much if at all (though this is less of an issue for smaller dogs).  A JRT will probably be able to jump 12" though starting at 8" is not necessarily a bad idea.

Another thing you might want to teach is directional commands (get out, left, right).  Get out you can teach by throwing a treat directly out in front of you and as they go to get it, give the command.  "Watch me" is another good one to teach.  They have to look at your face directly to be rewarded.  

Investigate clicker training to help you teach the commands.  It's operative conditioning and once a dog has that down, you can teach them just about anything.

If at any point your dog shows fear or resistance, back up and back off and think about what may have caused it.  Agility training should always be a positive experience for them (my Maggie goes bonkers when we get to class - she lives for it).  Yummy small (pinkie fingernail size) treats work as great motivators and won't fill them up.  

I've given you a lot, but the more basics your dogs know, the faster they'll pick up on the agility.  Even if you can't take classes yet, if you can, go watch some of the agility classes in action (without your dog).  

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

Liane

Comment

Haha...she doesn't know what fear is! I've always taken them to the kids parks and let them play on the equipment when the kids weren't there. Both of mine love to run up the stairs and ladders and over the drawbridge. She is clicker-trained, but she doesn't really have too high of food-motivation. The only thing she'll go for when she's all wound up is tuna, and I try not to give her to much of that. She's almost 3 and in excellent physical condition. She clears the baby-gate in a single bound! She also jumps over the armchair (from the backside) when she's wound up too tight. (Grrrr). Is the jump height based on the dog's height? She's 15 inches tall at the shoulder.

I didn't think of making her her own jump for the backyard out of PVC.

I'll work on the left, right, get out, and watch me training.

Thanks for the tips!
      Ellen

Comment

Ellen,
        Go look at this site for some ideas on equipment you can build yourself.

There are some great ideas on that site and some really good links.  

In competition, the height your dog jumps is based on their height at the shoulder.  So, if your pup were to compete in AKC agility, she would jump 16" jumps.  There are other organizations USDAA, NADAC, ASCA and they all have similar height to jump ratios.  You can jump in a jump height higher than what your dog is measured for, but not lower.  

As for treats, I know folks who use cooked chicken breast, hot dogs, vienna sausage, liver, etc.  Whatever, gets them going is what you're after.  I don't feed supper until after class and depending on how much Maggie got in the way of treats I adjust her food accordingly.  But, I'm only using tiny little bits of food for praise and lots of words, pats, etc., Other folks don't use any food at all but reward with a toy, ball or game of tug.  It's really a matter of personal preferance and what works for you and your dog.

Have fun,
        Liane

Comment

Thanks for the great site recommendation!

Ellen

Comment

i like agility as a fun activity (my new pup would probably do well hes only 4 months though and im still working with him,im a trainer at petsmart) but i think i will lean more towards flyball. you just get more runs at a competition, and the more energy i can get out of my snauzer terrier mutt the better. yes i know i miss spelled snauzer but is almost 4 am and im too tired and buzzed (i got 4 days off for like the first time in almost 2 years let me enjoy it lol) anyway another good idea would be to train with your dog in heavy distaction areas like a dog park or a petstore, so they will listen even with other people and dogs being right next to them,l the more distractions you try and work around the more stable your commands will be. and as food motivation goes, when you work with the dog it might help to leave out breakfast or work in the afternoon before dinner. a hungry dog is an attentive one. i could listg all the different treats i use, but balogna is very popular, as is summer sausage. i just cut the treats very small. turkey hotdogs are great too.
            Never fear I is here
            David Abeles
            Vice President
            Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! She does listen to me very well at the dog park, store, 4th of July, the hubbub outside of Kyle Field before a game...you name it, she's probably been there. She watches me for direction and doesn't hesitate to do what I tell her, even in those high-stress situations.

About the food, I let my dogs free-feed, and I don't want to stop doing that. I just metioned food motivation because she's not a food-hound, and I really don't want to make her into one. Both of my dogs will leave my five year old niece alone when she's walking around with cheese-crackers or a ham sandwich or anything else yummy those little kids always seem to have in their hand. (Unlike her own dog!) My dogs expect food from the gravity feeder and nowhere else. I like it like that! How many households can you leave food on the coffee table, and be able to go to the bathroom or kitchen without even thinking about it when there's 2 dogs around? Esp. one that can get the food without even stretching her neck!! Nah, I'll stick to her clicker training, she gets that. She's always been more about "good girl" than a piece of food anyways. Tuna is the only thing I have found that she wants to eat when she's all wound up and excited, so I guess if I feel that she needs more motivation, I'll break out the tuna...

Ellen

Comment

Thanks everyone for commenting. I just need a little description of "ou don't have to have any kind of training to go to the beginner agility class. They used to require you to take at least one obedience class, but they do the beginner class on leash now, so you can just jump right in."buy dog biscuits
                regards

Last edited by Babham; 08-17-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X