Gestation period for dwarf platies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gestation period for dwarf platies?

I have several dwarf coral platies (purchased from petsmart, i just got them for some red color for my grandfather to like) but i would love to see them thrive. it appears that one of the females is gravid and holding young but she has not released them yet. how long can they hold their young before giving birth. i have worked in the industry for soo long it just seems that i havent gotten a straight answer from any source. if anyone has had these dwarf and knows how long their gestation period is please respond. Im always up for learning more, especially about fish. :wink:
    Never fear I is here
    David Abeles
    Vice President
    Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Re: Gestation period for dwarf platies?

Mine are all raised in community tanks so I don't know. Unlike guppies, platys and swords tend to be hybrid crosses of different species and this may account for the variability in their gestation periods ( 3-8 weeks ). Maybe the gestation period for dwarf coral platies purchased from a particular Petsmart is always the same. It is an interesting question.

max

Comment

im guessing that its on the longer side because she has been in there about a month and she has looked about ready to pop for 3 weeks. as of yesterday no babies yet. it looks like one of my shrimp is carring eggs again though. im not sure they will survive because the tank is not fully grown out. and not super heavy planted. (yet) plus it is the red nose shrinmp and they have the complete stages meaning they like brackish water for the larva and all that.
      Never fear I is here
      David Abeles
      Vice President

Comment

I thought about shrimp farming the fresh water prawn but I decided the water is too hot here so they would eat too much without growing. Anyway, the larva are grown off for about a month in salt water and then gradually switched to fresh water to finish growing out. The salt water shrimp are grown out here in fresh water ponds and they do pretty well. The scientific types are trying to hatch flounder and grow them out in fresh water ponds too. I guess the line between salt and fresh water fish gets gray or blury.

max

Comment

they have converted sea bass to stock deep lakes, and redfish for freshwater as well. i just meant that i wont take out the srimp to mess with it, if any survive the tank (HA) then they do, but im gonna set up the cherry shrimp breeding tank today hopefully.
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President

Comment

Hi Tiapan,

Regarding your platy. Hopefully you have had a successful birth by now.

Gestation period depends largely on the temperature which you keep your fish at, which I would expect is quite warm. Also, as Max says, the cultivated platies are often a mix of various species of platy.

The straightest answer I can give you is that gestation is likely to be 24-40 days; although I would expect that gestation would be on the lower side for your fish.

You will be able to work it out yourself though with little effort. Platies, like most other poeciliids superfoetate, which means that they can have up to 8 broods from a single copulation. If you have the space, you could place your platy in a small, well planted aquarium and wait for the first brood. Make a note of the date and then leave the mother in the tank (she will most likely not eat all of the fry) and wait for the next brood.

That is the gestation period, based on your conditions.

Hope that helps.

Comment

well i believe she did give birth but i havent seen any young, if any survived at all that is, the back of the tank is fairly heavily planted (wisteria aka hygrophilia difformiss)
              Never fear I is here
              David Abeles
              Vice President

Comment

Oh well. Probably best to move her in around 4 weeks then.

Comment

Working...
                X