Plecos, can i give ppl the knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plecos, can i give ppl the knowledge?

The thought behind this idea was to have me help with pleco problems. Being that i have raised plecos since 10ish, and having a fondness for them. I would like to help in anyways possible.

Sorry for making this sound like a interview. But I like plecos too much to be throw-away-fish-into-the-community-pond person.
    Plecos:
    L083 (Gibby)
    L104 (Clown)
    L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
    L155 (A. Hystrix)
    L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
    LDA72 (BN)
    LDA76 (False Zebra)
    Rineloricaria parva (whiptail)
    Rineloricaria lancelota

Re: Plecos, can i give ppl the knowledge?

You can start a catfish club if you want to? The HLA wants to collect plecos close to the University of Houston this fall. I understand they bury in the mud and only move around when it is cool. Raul is our safari chairman.

max

Comment

you can try along  buffalo bayo near waugh dr

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymous";p="
        You can start a catfish club if you want to? The HLA wants to collect plecos close to the University of Houston this fall. I understand they bury in the mud and only move around when it is cool. Raul is our safari chairman.

max
        I wish, i need more time. Online i am wiz at things like that, it suited to my times of being whenever.

The ones in the bayou are usally the commons: Snow Kings, the common at stores, and Gibbys. They burrow in the mud for a home, ruining the soiland destroy the habitat that has allways beene there.oh well. The best ones are in San Antonio River where they had 30 years to mutate into their own form and almost new species. Fingers cross that they do name it a new L#.
        Plecos:
        L083 (Gibby)
        L104 (Clown)
        L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
        L155 (A. Hystrix)
        L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
        LDA72 (BN)
        LDA76 (False Zebra)
        Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Why would you think there are any plecos at Waugh Drive and Buffalo Bayou? Tell me where and about the plecos in the San Antonio river. I thought the common plecos were Hypostomus plecostomus ( from the 60's )?

max

Comment

If the HLA collects plecos this fall, I'd be there! That sounds awesome!

Ellen

Comment

Its a done deal.(The HLA is going to collect plecos in the fall and anyone can come along without joining the club)I wish you would fill out a membership form anyway!(Ellen is a very knowledgeable, enthusiastic, livebearer enthusiasts who will have a lot of fun if she joins the club. We do not charge dues or fees to join, to be our friend and anyone can have the benefits of membership without joining the club except that there is a big difference in really being part of the fun and being part of the group as opposed to being on the outside looking in. Joining the club is an agreement or a comitment to participate in the fun. It is a big comitment. Also, it is just as easy to quit as it is to join.) Would anyone else like to collect plecos with us?

How would an L# help you or the fish?

max(edited)

Comment

I have a really dumb question  :?.  I came home from the auction the other week with four long finned BN babies.  I noticed there was a piece of sponge type looking material in the bag with them.  I've also seen the same type material in some of the pics on Aquabid.  What is it for?  

Right now they're in a barebottom tank with a piece of driftwood and some angels.  Am I missing something necessary to their comfort and well being?  I would like to try and breed some of my own, but obviously, I am clueless at this point.
                Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

I looked for a pic of that sponge on Aquabid, didn't find any, the closest thing is problay I saw in a bag of plecs was a piece of zuccini.

Now for breeding BNs, they require a cave, or a pot, and when they mature a male will claim the cave waitiing for a female and in that cave he will defend the eggs against all intruders including the female. Barebottom tank is good for them. Just let them pair up.
                  Plecos:
                  L083 (Gibby)
                  L104 (Clown)
                  L147 (Peckoltia sp.)
                  L155 (A. Hystrix)
                  L310 (Red Fin Bruno)
                  LDA72 (BN)
                  LDA76 (False Zebra)
                  Rineloricaria lancelota

Comment

Thanks for the info on breeding them.
                    Can you beyond that general statement.
                    Like how often for WCing what temp. what type of water,what type of foods ect..
                    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
                    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
                    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

I only have four, so I hope I have a pair.  I'll be moving the angels next weekend and they'll have the tank all to themselves.  I'll start looking at caves for them.  I see some listed on AquaBid but I think I have plenty of time as the largest is only about an 1 1/2".  

Thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll have more questions as they get closer to breeding size and, hopefully, pair up.
                      Reasoning with some people is like trying to nail jello to a wall...

Comment

Just get a flower pot from your gardening center. Break a small hole on the top edge just big enough for the male to fit into. Turn it upside down in the tank. By doing this it will allow the male to trap the female in it.
                        Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Pardon the questions, but:

Is there a "good" way to break pots without shattering them? Should any sharp edges be sanded down?
                          Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                          Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                          Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                          Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

I just used a pair of pliers. Just get crack started then move over a little bit & start another crack then put the pliers in the middle & break it off.
                            I did not smooth the edges at all.
                            Mod OF Marshreef

Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

szidlon - I was wondering what those were, too! (the sponge-looking things in the bags) I've seen shrimps and other inverts shipped with stuff in the bag, but never fish. So, if anyone knows, tell us!
                              "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

Working...
                              X