Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They're breeding again.

Okay Guys,
    As some of you guys know, I have some Tropheus Purple Rainbows that I got from Armkes about 6 or so years ago. Well, they started breeding and for a while I did not care about it.  But recently about 2 months ago, a holding female spat in the tank. I missed this event so I do not know how many babies she spat. Anyways, I was cleaning my tank and under a rock was one fry, about 1.5 inches in all and as I looked into my pre-filter I noticed about two more. I was very excited, so I dumped them back into tank. Well they set up shop under and in some smaller rocks and they are growing.

The other day I noticed another female, she looked as if she was packing and I watched her swim around the tank for about 30 minutes or so. Well, this past Sunday I noticed that she was not packing anymore and I looked into the pre-filter and yes there is one small fry in the area between the wall and the sponge filter.

Well, when I clean the tank I do not want him to get beat up by the other adults or the smaller fish, is there a fry's box I can put in the tank to keep fry in until they are large enough to take care of themselves?

I am planning on getting some of the wife's old pantyhoses to put over the return hole in the pre-filter. No telling how many fries ended up in the wet dry.

What do you guys think?
    Fish, Fish, & more Fish.

Re: They're breeding again.

either get one of those big clear storage containers and drill/cut slots into it and add some styrofoam to make a floating nursery or get a bunch of breeder nets which are probably decent sized for each fish.
    700g Mini-Monster tank

Comment

Quick question; have you checked the wet-dry? I remember once at the store at which I worked we had probably about 50 or so feeder guppies underneath the 120g display tank because someone had dumped some in as feeders, and a few escaped and were living happily under there.
      "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Comment

The crying shame of all this is why you don't strip the female before she can spit and incur the losses. I only ask because I want some of these and at the rate you are going you will never have an excess for me to take off your hands!
        Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTT";p="
          The crying shame of all this is why you don't strip the female before she can spit and incur the losses. I only ask because I want some of these and at the rate you are going you will never have an excess for me to take off your hands!
          I was going to post the same thing.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
            Quick question; have you checked the wet-dry? I remember once at the store at which I worked we had probably about 50 or so feeder guppies underneath the 120g display tank because someone had dumped some in as feeders, and a few escaped and were living happily under there.
            I checked the last time there were no fry in the sump, I will check when I change the water on Saturday. They could be in the bio-balls dead, which means I will have to clean the bio-balls.  

Lock, what are you using for media for the wet-dry? Super Biox was back on the market, I saw them at a website I was surfing..
            Fish, Fish, & more Fish.

Comment

Originally posted by docmump";p="
              Originally posted by Mzungu";p="
              I checked the last time there were no fry in the sump, I will check when I change the water on Saturday. They could be in the bio-balls dead, which means I will have to clean the bio-balls.  

Lock, what are you using for media for the wet-dry? Super Biox was back on the market, I saw them at a website I was surfing..
              whatever is in the wet dry........I will do a search for the Super Biox

Comment

Working...
              X