Freshwater Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freshwater Shrimp

Who has freshwater shrimp and what type do you have/recomend for a community tank? Or should they be kept in a tank of their own? Who has freshwater shrimp for sell in the Houston Area? Will they survive in an Angelfish tank?

Thanks,
    Jerry
    75gal heavy planted tank
    pea gravel on soil substrate
    DIY CO2
    3 zebra botias, 9 glowlights, 2 yoyo loachs, wild guppies

55gal planted
    same substrate
    DIY CO2
    1 gold, 1 zebra, 4 koi, 2 dark zebra angels, ghost & amano shrimp

Re: Freshwater Shrimp

i was thinking about ordering some cherry red algae shrimp...but i dont think my store has the market for them yet...cause they are quite pricey for shrimp... and i'd have to get a 150 of them
    Resident BUM !!!

Comment

The amano shrimp I had in my angelfish tank survived until the angels decided they looked tasty. Maybe if you have lots and lots of cover for them they would fare better, but I wouldn't count on it.  :?

Ellen

Comment

I keep ghost shrimp in my tanks....

I just have to replace them once a month.  
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

i have ghost, amano, and some cherries, as well as a few red nose sometime called pinocio shrimp( i know i missspelled it but so do they)but i dont keep anything large. they have one fairly well but anything medium size or larger can become aggresive towards them. my biggest aggressor was a lamp eye tetra. those are all in my 29 (looks like my red nose is holding eggs as well(crossing my fingers). Cherries will breed fairly well but like mike said they are expensive to get at first. petshrimp.com has them for like a 1.50 but he is out right now. amano are some of the easiest to keep they get farily large and so fewer fish can prey on them (angels probably will anyway) dwarf cichlids are usally fine with them, most tetras, even small loaches. a great many plant tank people do shrimp only. i have several ghost in the new 60 gallon and they are doing fine i mean they are right out on the tank wall and i have some large red blue colombian tetras. so cherries are next for that tank, i dont want amanos in that tank. i have tried crystal red and they just died on me, eventually i will try them again. village ropical always has amanos and cherries, sometimes red nose. fish ranch has red nose, cherries, crystal reds, (pretty ones at that for only 7 bucks not actually too bad for them) city pets usaully has amanos they had cherries once and i got a bunch for 2 bucks a piece. ghost are pretty darn easy to keep and very very cheap in comparision, amano are probably the best at alge cleaning, and cherries or crystal reds are some of the prettiest, i tried tiger once but they really like more acidic water as do crystal red. it you want a lot of info like temp preferences petshrimp.com has pretty much all of them, even ones we never get to see in our shops like dwarf crayfish (from what i hear they are not aggresive in the least)
          Never fear I is here
          David Abeles
          Vice President
          Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

Thanks, that was all real informative. I have ghost shrimp in my 75, and they are multiplying. I had 4 amano, but haven't seen them since I added 4 angels. Not sure if they have "disappeared", or if they're hiding real good. My 75 IS very thick w/plants.

I'm interested in the cherry reds, but would hate to buy expensive food for the other fish in the tanks.

MIKE, if you do get some in, do you know what kind of price you're going to be asking for them yet?

Thanks to all,
            Jerry
            75gal heavy planted tank
            DIY CO2

55gal planted
            same substrate
            DIY CO2

Comment

2 dollars
              Resident BUM !!!

Comment

Let me know if you get any in. I'll take 10 and put in one of my tanks,

Jerry
                75gal heavy planted tank
                DIY CO2

55gal planted
                same substrate
                DIY CO2

Comment

i'm looking for cherry reds also

Comment

I cycled my tank with plants and ghost shrimps (24) it's been about 3 months now since I started putting fish in and I still have about 18 - 20 left.

So far my fish has left them alone.  Some will even swim up to the surface to feed with the fish ... it's pretty cool.

Logan5
                    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

The only shrimp that I currently have are Amano Shrimp in a 20g planted tank with Simulans. The was a marble shrimp in there for about 6 months or so, but he went the way of the buffalo.
                      Scarecrow : I haven't got a brain... only straw.
                      Dorothy : How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
                      Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
                      Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

Comment

hey you guy how about wood shrimps. I have two in my planted tank with discus, angels, clown loaches and so far nobody bothering them.

Comment

I almost bought some wood shrimp last week end.  am thinking of put 3 of them in my tank.
                          Smokin_Cache
                          Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
                          Lets see what the imagination fruits.
                          Check out my last tank

Comment

ok ill order them
                            Resident BUM !!!

Comment

hurray we converted mike.
                              Never fear I is here
                              David Abeles
                              Vice President