Discus and drift wood tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discus and drift wood tank

I need help! I think I am sure my 125 will be a planted tank with driftwood. So I am looking for ideas on plantsand tank layout. Well I am really looking for any suggestions I can get.

Thanks in advance.
    Smokin_Cache
    Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
    Lets see what the imagination fruits.
    Check out my last tank

Re: Discus and drift wood tank

This has to be hard question. The fact of it is what one person may like another will not.
    As you have seen my 70 gallon I am sure you notice that I have taller plants about 3/4's towards the back of the tank. This because the discus seam to like it better that way. I have tried with the plants all the way in the back. I did it cause I wont to see the discus all the time.
    After moving them forward a few inches the discus now have a place to swim thru & around. Now they seam to be as bored.

On my 125 I have just drift wood that is some what tall & wide. At bed time when I walk in the room without lights. All the discus are surrounding the wood. Its like a security blanket for them.

I hope this helps some what.

Walter
    Board Member of Houston Aquarium Society
    Mod OF Marshreef

Breeder of Discus, Angels, Bristle nose & Sail fin Mollies
    Coming soon Daphnia

Comment

Great help!!

I will give you a call when I get back in town.

Thanks
      Smokin_Cache
      Planning a new 150+ tank. Any suggestions?
      Lets see what the imagination fruits.
      Check out my last tank

Comment

Most photography courses will advise to to lay the picture out so that there is a diagonal line drawing your attention into the subject.

If I have a truely outstanding centerpiece I like to set it 2/3 to the side and 2/3 to the back and arrange the taller plants behind it, the shorter ones in front.    

I prefer to have a open area on the opposite corner so that there is nothing to draw your eye away from the intended focal point.

But then if your focal point is the fish.........
        'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
        He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

I think I read on an angel board that lots of people like for there to be three triangles, two in the back corners of plants or driftwood or combo, and a big open triangle in the front for dislplay. (I don't know if this makes much sense as it ~is~ Saturday night.) That is supposed to be more aesthetically pleasing than having a big hunk of driftwook in the middle of the tank. I don't know though, I think I like any box with fish in it! :)

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
            Most photography courses will advise to to lay the picture out so that there is a diagonal line drawing your attention into the subject.

If I have a truely outstanding centerpiece I like to set it 2/3 to the side and 2/3 to the back and arrange the taller plants behind it, the shorter ones in front.    

I prefer to have a open area on the opposite corner so that there is nothing to draw your eye away from the intended focal point.

But then if your focal point is the fish.........
            Sounds like you're using the "Golden Ratio" method, without actually knowing about it.  The Golden Ratio is 1.6:1, so for every inch you have on one side, there's 1.6 inches on the other.  If you work it out, the Golden ratio is .615, which is pretty close to .66 (or 2/3).   You see the golden ratio turn up a lot in various strange places.  It's used in architecture a lot (where something will be 1 unit wide, and 1.6 units tall, etc...)

Teeleton

Comment

Ah Ha, we have someone with a right brain......
              'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
              He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Originally posted by PhishPhreek";p="
                Ah Ha, we have someone with a right brain......
                Guilty!!  

Teeleton

Comment

Working...
                X