Jumping Bettas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping Bettas

This is borrowed from guppy breeders who do not want their male guppies' caudals
    (tails) to touch the bottom of the tank causing fin and tail rot when the
    lights are all turned off as these fish in darkness sleep on the
    bottom of the tank!!!!

Now to the point:

From experience  I have discovered :
    " NEVER LEAVE BETTAS IN A TOTALLY DARK FISH ROOM .
    Sounds in Total Darkness startle them and frighten
    them...causing them to jump out of their containers!!!!

turn on a lamp with a 25 watt bulb of any kind when all the big lights are turned off for the night.
    Also...    When spawning bettas....always keep a dim light on so that
    daddy can see his nest and won't fall asleep while keeping his
    unhatched nest...or tending his newly hatched fry!!!!
     This small amount of lighting will make the
    bettas feel more secure. When you turn on the big lights....they
    will not be startled and will just wake up!!!!

In total darkness it has been my experience that the slightest sounds will startle
    bettas and frighten them.....causing them to jump out of their container!!!!
    This has been my experience!  I hoped that I have been able to help someone!!!
    Warmest Regards to All,
    Dan Fitel from Hellertown Pa

Another reason why I love Guppies &Guppy breeders  
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Re: Jumping Bettas

This advice probably applies to a lot of other kinds of fish too. I have heard a lot of fish keepers complain about fish on the floor after turning on the lights.

max

Comment

Re: Jumping Bettas

That's one of the reasons why I leave a 9w floro bulb on at night in the fish room. I find that the fish wake faster and are less skittish. An interesting side effect is that the nocturnal fish are much more active with the subdued lighting than without it. My giraffe cats in particular, they seem more willing to do their jobs and vacuum the tanks each night with a little light to work by.
      Consider my posts as general information based on personal experiences, and in most cases, far oversimplified. Actual mileage may vary. Don't try this at home. If symptoms persist, contact your physician.

Comment

Working...
      X