brine shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brine shrimp

Is anyone else feeding brine shrimp? I know some people feed decapsulated cysts because they have the highest food value, they are easy, and are small for little fish. It takes some energy to hatch the cysts and they loose additional food value swimming around but I used to hatch BBS for the wiggle. The wiggle causes a feeding frenzy that I think is important for a sucessful breeding program. Now I decapsulate and hatch and enrich BBS cysts. Decapsulation reduces the energy requirement to hatch and increases the food value. Also there are no shells and the unhatched cysts are all edible. I used to use 90% hatch rate cysts but now I can use the cheaper 65% hatch rate cysts with good results. Enrichment lets me put back the food value that was lost and grow the BBS out another day to get better wiggle. I feed them all three days old or less because they get too big pretty quick for the little fish.

max

Re: brine shrimp

I feed my 10 day old betta fry bbs twice a day and I had some trouble with swimbladder problems untill I started decapsulating before I hatched.  (I use 60%)

but tell me more about "enrichment" ?
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Unhatched cysts are notorious for causing swim bladder problems.

Well you have this marvelous wiggling food small enough for tiny fish ready to filter feed whatever you want out of the water so you can put it in your fish. The possibilities are limitless. The obvious choices are minerals, vitamins, essential proteins and fats, and color enhancers. There are are also medical applications and dewormers. Here are a few links:

Pentair is dedicated to excellence in all aspects of our business. Whether you need system design, technical service or unrivaled equipment-you can count on us.

Pentair is dedicated to excellence in all aspects of our business. Whether you need system design, technical service or unrivaled equipment-you can count on us.

max

Comment

hmmm i always wanted to breed some brine shrimp but i dont have alot of time to do it... would it be possible for hem just to live in a large number in a tank so even if they get eaten they repopulate themselves just as fast?

Comment

Originally posted by firsttime-fishkeeper";p="
          hmmm i always wanted to breed some brine shrimp but i dont have alot of time to do it... would it be possible for hem just to live in a large number in a tank so even if they get eaten they repopulate themselves just as fast?
          No Brine shrimp are saltwater, but if you want to do that you can use moina or daphnia.

Comment

oh ok ill try that sometime soon =)

Comment

Working...
            X