livebearers best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• livebearers best

I like the livebearers best and especially the guppies. Guppies are a designer fish like angel fish, bettas, and gold fish and other live bearers. A designer fish is one that is purposefully engineered by humans to have a certain appearance or shape. Species fish might loose color by accident because they are not naturally selected but this is not what I mean. To study this non Mendelian genetics is a little like playing God and the lessons to be learned are numerous. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on ones perspective there is a world of knowledge one has to acquire for the fish to reach their full potential. Children especially stand to learn a lot from breeding designer fish. I think it is easier for them to identify with livebeares. Guppies can be ruthless cannibals but they are relatively peacful compared some of the egglayers. I think we have enough violence and destruction in the world so I appreciate their peacefull nature. We need to unplug our children from the video games and TV and plug them into the real world.

I keep fish to create my own strain of guppy. This will be a large fish with big fins and big drops. It should be able to mount an immune response to the biology associated with Houston's water chemistry. I will worry about the color later.

max

Re: livebearers best

I have kept tropical fish for 50 years
    (put it in the tank, feed it, when it dies buy another one)
    But it wasn't untill I started breeding and raising bettas that I became aware of the genetics involved is producing show winning fish.
    But the really interesting thing about raising fry is the amount of information that has to be absorbed to produce health living conditions and the varity of live food needed for maximum growth.

I think I'm turning into a green freek - save the wetlands!
    'Dear Lord,' the minister began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look on his upturned face. 'Without you, we are but dust ...'
    He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter who was listening leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little four-year old girl voice, 'Mom, what is butt dust?'

Comment

Re: livebearers best

It sounds like you have a lot of experience. I have a sneaky premonition that this site is about to have a lot of people who like your fish. Cool.

max

Comment

Working...
      X