Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dwarf Puffers what to do...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • R_sustaita
    replied
    Originally posted by sunkenmetal View Post
    Thanks for the info...
    +1

    Leave a comment:


  • sunkenmetal
    replied
    Thanks for the info...

    Leave a comment:


  • mnemenoi
    replied
    They should be great, I was wanting the RERT to see if their reputation was actually how they acted. I'd certainly be interested if you do decide to go that route. Tran at FR2 has a tank of dwarf puffers and you should be able to sex out a harem or whatever your hunting. I'd suggest far fewer males to females (1M/3F) and keep it in that general ratio if you decide upon more. Their native waters in India are not very far from our own and they have reliebly reproduced in aquariums they seem to find to their liking. I have a feeling most are pond raised now, so your chances of IP's are far lower. If they do seem to be affected just shoot me a Pm and I can tell you what we used and at what dosage.

    Leave a comment:


  • sunkenmetal
    replied
    Red claws are fun to watch and they do a good job cleaning up food scraps. They are big enough that I think puffers wont bother them.

    Leave a comment:


  • mnemenoi
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • mnemenoi
    replied
    The red claws should do well with them, I imagine they'll be treated like Amanos. I was thinking about adding them to our dwarf tank at one time. I was even thinking about doing macros in my tank tank as a clean up crew, I know there are some macro in the lake and have seen some vids online with them added and breeding crazy...

    Leave a comment:


  • sunkenmetal
    replied
    Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
    No sweat, are you thinking about adding them to the Red Claw tank?
    I have red claws in both my tanks. But yea was gonna put them in my 56 gallon tank. I don't have many red claws left in that tank.. If i get the puffers I will see how they get along I will sell the red claws. But the red claws don't bother the ottos in the tank now. They are to busy chasing each other around.

    Leave a comment:


  • mnemenoi
    replied
    No sweat, are you thinking about adding them to the Red Claw tank?

    Leave a comment:


  • sunkenmetal
    replied
    Thanks for the advice

    Leave a comment:


  • mnemenoi
    replied
    I have heard great things about the Red Eye Red Tails, but most of it has been overseas and I'm always a bit jaded about only good reports, lol. I know that pea puffers have been a far different cry from other puffers I have kept, they are somewhat sociable and can be kept in groups if given enough space and breaking up their line of sight. Densly planted tanks seem to yield better results and would assume the same with the RERT. They seem to be quite inquisitive and its immediately apparent if they will tolerate a tankmate or not. They either start chasing which never ends or just ignore it completely. I always tried to match something in their native habitat and assumed this might be better then an unknown. I guess I have this idea they have some sort of genetic hereditary memory, haha. Danios and rasbora seem to evoke little reaction and they disregard otocinclus. Depending on the specimen, they either ignore RCS or hunt them slowly. If you have enough in the tank, they get overwhelmed and just give up or just eat them at the same rate they reproduce. Amano's that are large enough scare the beejesus out of ours, they'll wander up and when it flares up they fall back in retreat. I guess its coming across a 20 foot chicken...

    Overall, they can be great fun. Water quality is their achilles heel. Nitrates that other fish ignore, seems to effect them greatly. Water changes are the hallmark of keeping them happy and varying their diets up. They are often imported from the wild, so internal parasites can be a concern until treated. They have a wide range of foods, but they are molluscavores in the wild so snails, clams, mussels, small shrimp and bloodworms are favorites. To get them colored and healthy add garlic and vita-chem to make certain they are getting a good range and all their requirements. Beak trimming can be tricky, but it seems to effect certain species and others don't ever seem to have an issue with it.

    Just a few of my observations and advice, good luck on whatever you choose to go with and let us know how it works out.

    Leave a comment:


  • eklikewhoa
    replied
    I don't think anyone would ship to you over the weekend anyways but that's a good plan.

    I think Honkz had a pair of these not too long ago that he bought from FishRanchII I believe.

    Leave a comment:


  • sunkenmetal
    replied
    I have found some Sumatran Red Eye puffers (Carinotetraodon irrubesea) online. Gonna wait till monday to decided. Don't want to order the fish and have them sit somewhere in a box over the weekend. That way I can think about it and check out the lfs for puffers.

    Leave a comment:


  • R_sustaita
    replied
    i am not talking about the Discus. i am talking about the puffer. Discus doing amazing. he has the extra 29g by him self

    Leave a comment:


  • eklikewhoa
    replied
    R_neglectedimpulsebuyerwithoutanysortofresearch, that's somewhat different from your situation.

    Nick here has taken the time to do his own research.

    Leave a comment:


  • R_sustaita
    replied
    lol, it happen the same thing to me. dont worry, be happy and grab a beer!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X