No announcement yet.

1.5gal DSM Iwagumi attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistahoo, what is the cost difference compared to the fluval Co2 kit?
    A wife, two kids and two cats.

Comment

Re: 1.5gal DSM Iwagumi attempt

I wouldn't know. I've never bought the fluval one, but I kept hearing bad things about them, so I opted for the ista. The one I have is sold at petco for I think $50. It comes with everything needed to run. It doesn't come with the 3-in-1 (diffuser, bubble counter, and check valve) but it comes with a 2-in-1 (diffuser and bubble counter). It's also the smallest setup they offer. There's an 88g and 95g disposable setup not found in Petco. The 45g cartridges are $10.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
        I wouldn't know. I've never bought the fluval one, but I kept hearing bad things about them, so I opted for the ista. The one I have is sold at petco for I think $50. It comes with everything needed to run. It doesn't come with the 3-in-1 (diffuser, bubble counter, and check valve) but it comes with a 2-in-1 (diffuser and bubble counter). It's also the smallest setup they offer. There's an 88g and 95g disposable setup not found in Petco. The 45g cartridges are $10.

Thanks for the info, the fluval wasntt hat great imo. I went ahead and ordered the ista 45g one online for $45. Im ready to get my new tank up and running!

Comment

Originally posted by JAYGEE View Post
          Thanks for the info, the fluval wasntt hat great imo. I went ahead and ordered the ista 45g one online for $45. Im ready to get my new tank up and running!
          That's good to know. Good thing I didn't go with the fluval. Just out of curiosity, where'd you order it from? I'm hoping I can find replacements for cheaper than $10. I bought my setup from someone else for $20.

Comment

I ordered from amazon, found refills for $11

Comment

Originally posted by JAYGEE View Post
              I ordered from amazon, found refills for $11
              $12 with shipping. I bought that one because the one I bought didn't come with the CO2 since the guy had already used it. It came in about a week later. I'd rather just buy from Petco since it's only about 5 minutes away for about $10 and some change.

Comment

Gonna try to get these blackworms established in here too. That way they'll clean up any leftover food when I feed the shrimps. I think it's a better alternative than buying an expensive pyrex or plastic petri dish kind of thing.

Comment

I had a spare dish.......
                  Will trade Fish Stuff for Camera Lens and Anime Figures.

Comment

It's all good. Besides if the blackworms get established and reproduce, I'll have more food for my fish. Plus I've noticed that there's still food that escapes the dish. Although not much escapes, the blackworms will get everything the shrimp don't.

Comment

Give me some worms....
                      Will trade Fish Stuff for Camera Lens and Anime Figures.

Comment

Originally posted by Jozle View Post
                        Give me some worms....
                        Come and get em and your peppermint shrimp! I'm not sure when I'll be back in your area. I only ordered a pound with Sasha in the group buy, so I can't spare a whole bunch as they propagate slow. I can give you a good amount to get you started though.

Comment

So the bkackworms will survive in your substrate and get picked off every so often by the shrimp and fish??? I have fluorite for my 10 gal, will this suffice for bkackworms production???

Comment

That's the idea. Though in this tank there won't be any fish, just shrimp. They'll clean up after my shrimp when I feed them. I would think they should be fine in any substrate.

Edit: Also, I'd like to mention that they're quite long. I doubt a fw shrimp would be able to eat one unless it was a tiny one.

Last edited by mistahoo; 03-29-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mistahoo View Post
                              That's the idea. Though in this tank there won't be any fish, just shrimp. They'll clean up after my shrimp when I feed them. I would think they should be fine in any substrate.

Edit: Also, I'd like to mention that they're quite long. I doubt a fw shrimp would be able to eat one unless it was a tiny one.
                              +1 we are wondering the same thing about long term survival in a planted tank, I have read of a few accounts of them doing well and being a useful addition. Guess we shall see....
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                              Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                                +1 we are wondering the same thing about long term survival in a planted tank, I have read of a few accounts of them doing well and being a useful addition. Guess we shall see....
                                They do well. Q got some tanks from Wes a while back and they had a blackworm colony in it along with a decade worth of MTS. I was thinking of how the substrate compacts after so long and gases build up, and how the shrimp make a mess if I feed them. So I am hoping they'll be able to propagate quick enough before being preyed upon (in the 5G). I've already noticed a huge difference. The 1.5G I haven't noticed much because it's still new. The only thing they've done is uproot some HC that hasn't developed its roots.

Comment

Working...
                                X