Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New African Cichlid Tank Stocking

Hi All -

My new 120 gallon (48.5 x 18.5 x 30.5) is currently cycling and I am going to stock it with African Cichlids. It’s running a Eheim 2262 canister filter and a trigger system sapphire 26 sump (sponges bio-balls, refugium). Pictures attached.

I have kept community tanks in the past and currently have a 45 gallon community tank. This will be my first time keeping Cichlids. I am thinking about keeping the following in the tank:

1) Aulonocara Baenshi Benga (4 makes and 4 females)
    2) Copadichromis Azureus Mbenji (4 males and 4 females)
    3) Protomelas Taeniolatus "Red Empress" Namalenje (4 males and 4 females)
    4) Common Pleco (1)
    5) Pictus Catfish (2)

I’d love your thoughts on stocking. I wanted to stay in the Peacock and Haps family.

Also, has anyone ordered from The Wonder of Cichlids online? I’ve heard good things about them, but curious if others have any experience!

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Files

If you keep females, your aggression will likely be bad. If you wanna come check out my fish, message me. I always have male peacocks.
    210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
    125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

But won’t it be more natural to have males and females? From my understanding these three species go well together and these are less aggressive Peacocks/Haps.

While I understand the logic behind an all male tank, is this really an ideal setup for the fish to thrive in?

Comment

I would try it and see how it goes and make adjustments from there.
        210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
        125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

niiiice tank!! I'm fond/biased towards Tanganyikans, but for what your putting together i would recommend a couple Sulphur heads, i really like those. i just got a 120gallon tank too, it will be up and running next week, but i keep tropheus. good luck with your system...
          “Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling.â€

Comment

Originally posted by moganman View Post
            I would try it and see how it goes and make adjustments from there.
            Yeah, I think that's what I am going to do for now.

Comment

Originally posted by sculligan29 View Post
              niiiice tank!! I'm fond/biased towards Tanganyikans, but for what your putting together i would recommend a couple Sulphur heads, i really like those. i just got a 120gallon tank too, it will be up and running next week, but i keep tropheus. good luck with your system...
              Thanks! - I will definitely look into the Sulphur heads, I've never heard of those before. Good luck with your new tank as well! Are you planning on keeping Tropheus in your new tank or Tanganyikans?

Comment

trying to find some Tropheus cherry spots, and a red bulu petrochromis with a couple judochromis, and an albino bristle nose pleco...
                “Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling.â€

Comment

that a nice set up . I have to say that unless you are keeping a species only tank and would like to breed you will have issues with males killing each other for dominance.
                  if you would like to keep a show tank, then stick to males only... it's like ( no woman no cry lol).
                  another issue you need to be aware of is that most of LFS in the Houston area sell hormone fed fish that are initially imported from Asia .. that's another subject for another day ..
                  but again great set up and wish you the best of luck

Comment

Working...
                  X