GW strikes again .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GW strikes again .

My main pond got to 52 F . I think that is the coldest. Because I have it covered I can't yet see if any Danios made it . They may have been in it continuously about 10 years ; they breed each summer.

Did your Danios pull through?

Comment

Danios and black mollies made it . But , I suffocated my 2 largest Koi ( about 20 " ). I put Styrofoam panels ( cut up fish boxes) on about 85% of the pond surface in the coldest weather. I take them off when the air temp gets near 60F . I thought enough oxygen would get in the 15% open area. 2 smaller Koi and other fish were good.

Comment

Giant danio fry are already one inch long (June 3 ). I did not look until today. I guess they were laid or layed the first week of May.

Comment

awesome!
          Guppies:
          Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
          Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
          HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

I delayed Too long , cold front Oct 15. I am losing faith in Global Warming, been reading about it for 40 years and we still get unusual cold spells. Pond is still 70F so I covered most of it with Styrofoam. I still hope to get some of the hundreds of danios out soon.

Comment

i brought in maybe 250 mbuna today.usually make it to the 1st week in Nov.

Comment

I’ve got hundreds of guppies to pull out of my garden pond. Full of plants so I’m not sure how many fish I can get out without making a huge mess. 🤔

Comment

I finally got out about 200 danios on Oct 31. I was surprised to find some very small ones, about 3/4 " long , like needles. Apparently they keep spawning all year if the temperature is OK. I guess I pulled out 1/3 of the total. I stopped when the heavy rain started although I was waist deep in the pond. A problem was the water lily roots had bound together the 6 " pine straw mat in the bottom; Because of health reasons I have not cleaned it for a few years.

Comment

Incredible. With a heater and using your styrofoam method, how warm can you keep your pond ? How big is it?

Comment

Sorry for the late reply : Pond is about 1000 gal, The lowest water temperature I measured was 52 F . I had a 200 W and a 100 W ; I used both below 40 F air temp , otherwise one or the other below 60 F air. One caution, during a warm spell , like 70 F + , I pull off some Styrofoam to get oxygen. Next winter I plan to use an aerator. In several years,I rarely find one dead danio. My "river " has been full of little ones since May. During the heavy rains in early summer , some danios tried to escape in the pond overflow. When the rain was over I went looking in the grass for danios, found 20 live and 10 dead ( all big adults). It is strange to look in the grass for fish.

Comment

The pond is about 800 gal. The lowest I measured ( 2018 / 2019) was 52F ; It may have been a little lower because I do not measure it that often. There were no "floaters" so I guess no danios died of cold. Winter 2019/ 2020 hit today ( Oct 10 ), the pond is still about 70. I put on some styrafoam because I have a 30 ft stream ( 18 " wide and 1 " deep, average) full of young danios . If I turn off the pump it leaves many fish stranded in tiny pools.

Comment

Working...
                        X