No announcement yet.

How large can an upstairs aquarium be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How large can an upstairs aquarium be?

How do you determine what size aquarium is safe to on the second floor of your house?

I currently have a 75 gallon aquarium upstairs in my game room. One end is toward the front of the house and the other is toward the back of the house, so I am guessing that it is parallel with the floor joists. I would like to replace it with a 135, but don't want to create problems with the extra weight.
    3200G - Koi pond with planted bog pond
    675G - Black Arowana, Giant Gourami, Silver Dollars, Mono Sebae, Geo Surinamensis, Nicaraguense, Tinfoil Barbs, Balas, Roselines
    300G - Discus, Angels, Surinamensis, Keyhole Cichlids, Rainbow Cichlids, Black Ghost, Tetras, Corys
    300G - Severums, Fesitvum, Chocolate, Brasiliensis, Electric Blue Acaras, Rainbows, Filament Barbs, Silver Arowana (grow out)
    200G - African Cichlids (Malawi)
    75G - African Cichlids (Malawi) grow out
    65G - Green Terrors, Monos (grow out) - not sure what to do with this aquarium

I had a fish room upstairs that had 4 tank on each wall with no problem a two 75 gal a 90 and a 42 gal tall.
    Willie Sanders

Comment

Thanks Willie... once concern I have is that all of the weight will be in one place and not spread around like your fish room.
      675G - Black Arowana, Giant Gourami, Silver Dollars, Mono Sebae, Geo Surinamensis, Nicaraguense, Tinfoil Barbs, Balas, Roselines
      300G - Discus, Angels, Surinamensis, Keyhole Cichlids, Rainbow Cichlids, Black Ghost, Tetras, Corys
      300G - Severums, Fesitvum, Chocolate, Brasiliensis, Electric Blue Acaras, Rainbows, Filament Barbs, Silver Arowana (grow out)

Comment

i would check your beams in the floors and spread the weight across.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballinxalex View Post
          i would check your beams in the floors and spread the weight across.
          How do you do that unless you open up some sheet rock?
          010G Long fin BN grow-out
          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community
          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
            How do you do that unless you open up some sheet rock?
            Stud finder

Comment

What should I be looking for with the stud finder? Well, studs of course, but what will it tell me?

I'm fairly certain the joists go from front to back of the house since that would be the shorter run for them. The aquarium sits against a side wall in the game room, so it is most likely parallel with the joists.

On the first floor directly below, a wall exists in the same place as the wall above, that separates the kitchen from the dining room. I have no idea if the wall is load bearing.

I'm starting to think that it is not a good idea to increase the aquarium size. Its just that bigger is always better! :)
              Last edited by sayersweb; 11-13-2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

i would never recommend putting a big tanks upstairs anyways. but using the stud finder u can find where the studs are and find the direction of the studs and you can also just put a sticker on the floor where u get a hit on the stud finder so get a visual view.

haha bigger is always better but can lead to future problems if your not properly supported.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions...

Was hoping to replace the 75 gallon African Cichlid (Malawi) aquarium with a larger one, but it probably is not a good idea. I may be able to squeeze something like a 180 into my family room. I already have my living/dining rooms dedicated to large aquariums. :)

Comment

Stud finder is used to penetrate sheet rock since it's upstairs I'm assuming he has carpet even tiles it wouldn't work properly.

Comment

Yes... tried the stud finder on the carpet and it was acting crazy. Tried the ceiling below and it seems to confirm that the studs are running front to back. I am going to stick with the 75 gallon. Don't want to take any chances.

Was just measuring the Family Room downstairs and a 72" x 24" x 30" should work very nicely instead. :)

That will be the last one! (I need to keep telling myself this)

Comment

Originally posted by sayersweb View Post
                        Yes... tried the stud finder on the carpet and it was acting crazy. Tried the ceiling below and it seems to confirm that the studs are running front to back. I am going to stick with the 75 gallon. Don't want to take any chances.

Was just measuring the Family Room downstairs and a 72" x 24" x 30" should work very nicely instead. :)

That will be the last one! (I need to keep telling myself this)
                        awesome, just saw your signature. post up some pics of that monster 700g and 300g!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ballinxalex View Post
                          awesome, just saw your signature. post up some pics of that monster 700g and 300g!!!
                          I do need to take some photos... I've tried a few times, but they never look as good as I think they should.

Comment

Ended up getting a 300 gallon for the family room... 96 x 24" x 30". No need for a bigger aquarium upstairs after all.

Over the long weekend I set up the new 300 (including overflow/sump plumbing), moved the Discus and Angel community to it. Re-scaped the 200 and moved the Malawi cishlids to it from the 75 gallon. Also, re-scaped the other 300 twice, the second time was due to a new large piece of wood, which had to be held down by boulders and has now turned the water brown. :)

Also changed my sig to more accurately show the big aquarium as 675 instead of 700... 120" x 36" x 36".

Comment

Post some pix when you are ready sir
                              010G Long fin BN grow-out
                              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                              020G Leulepi grow-out
                              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                              030G Leulepi breeder
                              030G SRD FlowerHorn
                              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                              090G Tangs community
                              100G Tangs community
                              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Working...
                              X