Plecos and Cichlids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plecos and Cichlids

I bought two plecos from petsmart along time ago and both of them died with then a week. So last week I had to clean my tank and I had the wife buy 3 more plecos 2-3" from petsmart. When I was done cleaning the tank I moved everything around (plants, rocks and decor). I read somewhere that cichilds get territorial and moving stuff around in the tank will break up their area. So in the process of moving their stuff around and refilling the tank I released the plecos. Everything was fine for a couple of days, then I found one dead pleco and then and few days after that one more and then the last one was dead. Anything I can do keep the plecos alive? Is the problem that the plecos are too small? Do I need to get a bigger one or is there no hope in keeping one in this tank?

My tank is a 90 gallon with 5 African cichlids and 1 Long Fin Catfish. You can see in the picture is all the fish I have. One female is hiding in the plant in the back ground..

tank.jpg

How big are the plecos you are buying? Also adding some caves the plecos can hide in May help. Or moving rocks around so they form several cave like areas.
    Guppies:
    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Working...
    X