New Planted Tank setup Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Planted Tank setup Journal

The aquarium by glasscages.com, 48"x16"x17", sold as a 65 gallon, but holds about 60 gallons - 1/2" glass, has an "unusual design"...
    It may be hard to tell from the images, but the front, back, and side panels of glass sit outside the bottom panel. Typically, they sit on top of the bottom glass (no issues so far).

The stand skeleton is made with 2x4s and 1/2" birch plywood (tank surface). The overall measurements are: 48" long x 24" wide x 30" tall. This will allow for an aquarium upgrade later if we want without having to build a new stand.

another view

We (my wife and I) added some 1/8" plywood for the outer skin. We removed the "door openings" with a jigsaw, so the front skin is one piece.

Created the doors with an extra sheet of 1/2" birch plywood (started as 24"x48" sheet x2, one for the top and one for the doors). Finished stand:

I used a Minwax brand stain

Tank sitting on 1/2" styrofoam and on the stand. The entire setup is sitting on a piece of carpet on the wood floors which allows me to slide the tank across the floor if I need to move it (it works pretty well):

Substrate: Turface Pro MVP field conditioner. I rinsed the substrate 5+ times to get all of the small particles and dust out (I had minimal "cloudy water" once filled). I filled a bucket about 1/4" full of the turface, rinsed - drained x5, then added to the aquarium. 50# bag was ~$17 and I used the entire bag for this setup. This product is listed as "red" but looks more brown once wet (at least it does to me - what do you think?).

Initial fill (little cloudiness):

Temporarily added the lights and then plants:

Then I started building the DIY suspended lighting supports. 3/4" conduit with fittings and eye bolts.

Thank you,
    AndrewH

Updated full tank shot:
    Thank you,
    AndrewH

Comment

go with a lower profile lighting option looks great but man those lights looks huge compare to the tank

Comment

The lights aren't too bad in comparison (in person).

2.5" tall x 7.5" wide x 47" long. The two lights almost fill the top of the aquarium fully.
        (I still need to level them)
        Thank you,
        AndrewH

Comment

looks great tho but i havent seen a tank built like urs tho with the front and back on the sides of the bottom panel

Comment

Nice tank and stand. Everything else, you could use a little refining. Look up some videos on natural scaping.
            210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
            125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by Ballinxalex View Post
              looks great tho but i havent seen a tank built like urs tho with the front and back on the sides of the bottom panel
              Thank you. I agree regarding the tank build. I am still a little nervous with the design, but time will tell.

Originally posted by moganman View Post
              Nice tank and stand. Everything else, you could use a little refining. Look up some videos on natural scaping.
              Thank you.

Ah yes, the scape is no scape, but more just "in the aquarium". I want the plants to start showing signs of growth before I try to move and rearrange everything. This aquarium will be a constant work in progress (as most are) and the true aquascaping will begin once all of my plants arrive.

But my Cabomba furcata is blooming though ^_^

Last edited by UncleSamsPuppet; 08-23-2017, 11:24 AM.
              Thank you,
              AndrewH

Comment

Wow beautiful!
                210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Are you injecting CO2? That cabomba looks fantastic and if you ever have any trimmings you don't want, I'd be happy to relieve you of them :) I hate seeing really well executed DIY projects because then I look at mine and get the sads. I want to copy the light mounting but I just know I'd screw it up, lol. What else do you have growing in there? Bacopa, what I first thought were some small corkscrew vals but am now drawing a total blank, anacharis, and what's the last one on the right?

Comment

Working...
                  X