Shrimp scene in Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp scene in Houston

Aloha everyone! I just moved to Houston from Honolulu and was thinking about getting back into the planted tank hobby because I have a lot of free time and enjoyed the hobby previously.

I wanted to get some dwarf shrimp since I never had access to them before in Hawaii, but I'm having a hard time sourcing them. People always say Houston has pretty much everything, so where can I get some high quality shrimp in town?

When I did a Google search, the all the results were from several years ago. Has the fad already died out in Houston?

I get my shrimp from aquabid. I've seen shrimp offered here, & I went to a talk about shrimp that was well attended, I think last year. The only shrimp I have in quantity now are not a dwarf.
    Guppies:
    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Hello smootie & welcome to Texas and to Houston.

I too am somewhat new to the Houston area and getting back into the hobby after a few years out. I kept mini shrimp in the past and would source them from the internet, but finding a good quality local source would be fantastic!
      Thank you,
      AndrewH

Comment

I kept mini shrimp in the past and would source them from the internet, but finding a good quality local source would be fantastic!
        If I find a local seller I'll let you know! Mail ordering in this heat is something I'd like to avoid.

Comment

fyi, I received 2 different sets of shrimp in the past 30 days; one was packaged as you would expect and shipped priority and everything was great. They are a blue rili and they even sent me some berried females!
          The other was shipped regular mail, in an uninsulated box, no cold pack. The breather bag was in a Styrofoam cup with no lid. And all but 2 made it alive and looking good. 1 was dead and I presume the other died and was eaten. They are awesome yellow shrimp with the strip on top.

As for a local breeder, I know there is a guy in Pasadena who I've bought from on aquabid. He had blue tiger shrimp, Sulawesi Cardinal shrimp and crystal shrimp. His Aquabid name is Ark. I don't see any recent shrimp listings for him, but he's got some guppies for sale.
          Guppies:
          Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
          Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
          HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

If you're still looking (only 6 months late to the party)....

Fish Gallery (Fountainview/59 location) usually has a few varieties of different dwarf shrimp, including some very high quality sakura RCS or even maybe low-grade painted fire. I don't particularly care for their prices on the non-RCS (like $9/ea for a black carbon cull? No thanks) but I do like to pop in and check their stock. This store has the most variety I have found so far (blue dream, black carbon, pumpkin, golden back, PFR) but can be hit or miss depending on what time of the week you go.

ADG (Pearland, 288/BW8) has some nice CRS/CBS and maybe some golden back yellow somethings (I haven't been in a month or so). I can't recall what their pricing looked like though.. I'm sure they'd be happy to let you get in on a group buy as they did for me when I was inquiring about their plants.

Aquarium World (290) has RCS but the grade is usually really bad and I would never pay their prices. Doesn't stop me from looking every weekend I go though, lol

Comment

Working...
            X