Thread: Shrimp scene in Houston

Look at me! I'm new here.

Question Shrimp scene in Houston

Aloha everyone! I just moved to Houston from Honolulu and was thinking about getting back into the planted tank hobby because I have a lot of free time and enjoyed the hobby previously.

I wanted to get some dwarf shrimp since I never had access to them before in Hawaii, but I'm having a hard time sourcing them. People always say Houston has pretty much everything, so where can I get some high quality shrimp in town?

When I did a Google search, the all the results were from several years ago. Has the fad already died out in Houston?

I have an aversion to salty water.
    I get my shrimp from aquabid. I've seen shrimp offered here, & I went to a talk about shrimp that was well attended, I think last year. The only shrimp I have in quantity now are not a dwarf.

What is this... FISH you speak of?
    Hello smootie & welcome to Texas and to Houston.

I too am somewhat new to the Houston area and getting back into the hobby after a few years out. I kept mini shrimp in the past and would source them from the internet, but finding a good quality local source would be fantastic!
    Thank you,
    AndrewH

Look at me! I'm new here.
    I kept mini shrimp in the past and would source them from the internet, but finding a good quality local source would be fantastic!
    If I find a local seller I'll let you know! Mail ordering in this heat is something I'd like to avoid.

I have an aversion to salty water.
    fyi, I received 2 different sets of shrimp in the past 30 days; one was packaged as you would expect and shipped priority and everything was great. They are a blue rili and they even sent me some berried females!
    The other was shipped regular mail, in an uninsulated box, no cold pack. The breather bag was in a Styrofoam cup with no lid. And all but 2 made it alive and looking good. 1 was dead and I presume the other died and was eaten. They are awesome yellow shrimp with the strip on top.

As for a local breeder, I know there is a guy in Pasadena who I've bought from on aquabid. He had blue tiger shrimp, Sulawesi Cardinal shrimp and crystal shrimp. His Aquabid name is Ark. I don't see any recent shrimp listings for him, but he's got some guppies for sale.
    Guppies:
    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fancyfish For This Useful Post:

smootie (08-22-2017)

What is this... FISH you speak of?
    If you're still looking (only 6 months late to the party)....

Fish Gallery (Fountainview/59 location) usually has a few varieties of different dwarf shrimp, including some very high quality sakura RCS or even maybe low-grade painted fire. I don't particularly care for their prices on the non-RCS (like $9/ea for a black carbon cull? No thanks) but I do like to pop in and check their stock. This store has the most variety I have found so far (blue dream, black carbon, pumpkin, golden back, PFR) but can be hit or miss depending on what time of the week you go.

ADG (Pearland, 288/BW8) has some nice CRS/CBS and maybe some golden back yellow somethings (I haven't been in a month or so). I can't recall what their pricing looked like though.. I'm sure they'd be happy to let you get in on a group buy as they did for me when I was inquiring about their plants.

Aquarium World (290) has RCS but the grade is usually really bad and I would never pay their prices. Doesn't stop me from looking every weekend I go though, lol