minimum maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minimum maintenance

So as you read from the topic this is gonna be a question of how little can I do(or should I say my parents).

Specs of the tank 135 gallon oceanic

2emperor 400s
    1 fluval 306

stock is 3 geophagus red heads 3in
    and 4 odessa barbs 2 in

Im not planning on adding more fish.

I am going off to school soon and I will probably be home once a month maybe less. Is this a small enough setup to where ill be able to get by with minimal work. I trust my parents to feed them everyday but water changes cant be counted on. LMK what you think.

If the tank is established then perhaps, but there is always the budding issue of built up phosphates causing algae issues. I left for college a long time ago, I had a 46 gallon planted bow front. In my opinion I felt it pretty much took care of itself with minimal effort on my part besides water changes, occasional dosing and cleaning the glass on occasion. I had an auto feeder too which was super reliable. I came back maybe once every other month or so and it only took one semester of me being away, a lack of water changes or something and I came back to an explosion of hair algae, bba, cyano, dude you name it.

My advice, I wouldn't keep it going unless your parents are into your tank almost as much as you are. If they do not understand the care, try and make water changes super easy, maybe make an online calendar for them to follow so that you can help keep them and you on a routine to check on the fish. Ask for tank update pictures and make things as automatic as possible.

Glad to see your an AGGIE. Class of 2015 right here. WOOP!
    "And she was lost at sea... I think she would like that"

Comment

If you can keep feeding to minimal, there will be less maintenance. Maybe twice a week and not too much. I do this feeding schedule, and I can stretch out water change 2-3 weeks without any issues.
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Working...