lake tang growout tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lake tang growout tank?

toying of a idea of raising fish outside under my patio in a 300g rubbermaid?

any opinions?

will be putting out frontosa fry, lelupi

problems i forecast

hot weather
    cold weather
    lack of oxygen
    birds

simple fix would to be heaters, and 2x2260 for filtration

but im more worried about the weather affecting parameters..

let me know what you guys think

I have used an above ground pool for several summers - Lake Malawi cichlids, with giant danios and sometimes zebra danios. I have used a pond filter, but have also used just the pool filter that came with the pool. Mainly just keep the water moving. Have had pretty good success, good growth. When I have put adult fish outside, I usually get a good number of fry/juvies at the end of the summer. I like to go from around Easter to around Halloween. A smaller container, like a 300 gallon rubbermaid, might mean you have more issues with temperature and oxygen depletion. Might think about having something you can use to shade at least part of the "pond" for a part of the day. Water changes might help with that, too. Some structure inside the container can also provide shade. And then, as I said, keep the water moving. You've probably thought of all those things already. You should do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brentpitt View Post
      I have used an above ground pool for several summers - Lake Malawi cichlids, with giant danios and sometimes zebra danios. I have used a pond filter, but have also used just the pool filter that came with the pool. Mainly just keep the water moving. Have had pretty good success, good growth. When I have put adult fish outside, I usually get a good number of fry/juvies at the end of the summer. I like to go from around Easter to around Halloween. A smaller container, like a 300 gallon rubbermaid, might mean you have more issues with temperature and oxygen depletion. Might think about having something you can use to shade at least part of the "pond" for a part of the day. Water changes might help with that, too. Some structure inside the container can also provide shade. And then, as I said, keep the water moving. You've probably thought of all those things already. You should do well.
      the main problem i see is the water temp, the tub would be under a patio roof

Comment

I had a 600g above ground wooden pond that I used to grow some malawi after I had rehomed my koi fish. on this setup, I used a 1800gph mag pump to pump water from the pond to a bog filter( filled with gravel and plants on top),water then gravity flew down to the pond (this helps with surface water movement and oxygen). it was fine from end of February till end of October,then I decided to move the fish inside since it was getting cold. the pond was partially shaded, and only got about 2 hours of sunlight from 4-6 pm.I would think leaving the pond in the dark would affect fishes' color,but too much sun light would cause algae problem without running UV light.

my backyard was small, and I did not see any birds ever come down, but you might want to pay attention to birds and other animals around since that rubbermaid is a bit shallow and you have some pricy frys there. just my $.02.

Comment

Originally posted by specialone0812 View Post
          I had a 600g above ground wooden pond that I used to grow some malawi after I had rehomed my koi fish. on this setup, I used a 1800gph mag pump to pump water from the pond to a bog filter( filled with gravel and plants on top),water then gravity flew down to the pond (this helps with surface water movement and oxygen). it was fine from end of February till end of October,then I decided to move the fish inside since it was getting cold. the pond was partially shaded, and only got about 2 hours of sunlight from 4-6 pm.I would think leaving the pond in the dark would affect fishes' color,but too much sun light would cause algae problem without running UV light.

my backyard was small, and I did not see any birds ever come down, but you might want to pay attention to birds and other animals around since that rubbermaid is a bit shallow and you have some pricy frys there. just my $.02.

thanks for the feedback but im leaning towards getting a 180g? possibly and just raise them inthere

but first need to find space

Comment

that is a better approach, I guess, so you can see how your frys grows.and 180g is about a good size to grow frys versus heating, water change, parameters change.etc.

Comment

Working...
            X