Using rain water in freshwater fish aquarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using rain water in freshwater fish aquarium

Using rain water in freshwater fish aquarium. Is it safer than tapwater?

What do you want the answer to be ? Fresh tap has chlorine or equivalent . In a couple days it will break down , or I have not had a problem adding 10% ; That amount of "chlorine" can be consumed by micro-organisms. On the otherhand; I I have killed the fish in ponds twice in 20 years by forgetting a hose running into them.
    Rainwater has no alkalinity ; not a factor when making even a 50% addition . However I once filled a 29 with rainwater (no gravel) and in a day or so fish started dying. The pH had gone very acidic , below 5. I was able to save some fish by adding lime - I don't recommend this.
    Best answer : moderation in all things.

Comment

Originally posted by fishy100 View Post
      Using rain water in freshwater fish aquarium. Is it safer than tapwater?

https://youtu.be/AW1BjgGz_-s
      It depends on what you are keeping. If your looking to breed Cardinal tetras or Wild bettas, then it's a great idea. If your keeping Rift Valley cichlids then the pH and hardness are gonna be a problem.
      Emerald Green Rainbowfish
      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

rain water is good, but it is hard to get enough on a regular basis

Comment

Too risky to use rain water

Comment

If you are in Houston rain water is a bad idea. The pollution in the air is washed in the rain. So that's what you have in the water. RO/ is the best way to go. Next would be aging. Aging is easy to do and lower coast.
            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I agree. Aging has been good for me so far. Just age it for 2 days min.

Comment

Ive used rainwater in all my tanks at some point, usually when my tanks need topping off anyway and a nice downpour comes along, i catch a few buckets full and dump it in. IMHO, cant hurt. :)

Comment

Working...
                X