Source for granular activated carbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for granular activated carbon

I recently converted my 210 gallon to tropheus and filling up 5 gallon buckets and then treating water is getting old. I decided I'm going to get a carbon bottle to run the water through. Bigger the better I figure. I've found that you can buy all the parts to put them together on your own for a more reasonable price than buying it altogether. My question is, does anyone know of the best place to buy granular activated carbon in bulk?

you live near me, so we may have the same water source.
    We have chlorine and chloramine in our tap water, granular activated carbon could remove chlorine , BUT NOT chloramine-need catalytic carbon to remove this - and this stuff is way more expensive than activated carbon).

Just FYI.

Comment

Good point. There is some filter media on this page... http://www.purewaterproducts.com/filter-media/

Do you think the Jacobi Coconut Shell Catalytic Carbon would be a sufficient media?

I'm looking at buying the empty tank off Amazon, then the riser and in/out head from another source.

Comment

Here's a link to where I get my catalytic carbon: http://www.thefilterguys.biz/bulk_carbon.htm

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

You're better off getting rid of carbon and going with purigen instead. It's cheaper and much more effective.

Comment

Originally posted by caldwelldaniel26 View Post
            You're better off getting rid of carbon and going with purigen instead. It's cheaper and much more effective.
            This is actually the route I went with. I'm using a Purigen packet in each of my canister filters. I switch those out once every 6 months. I also use Hikari Ultimate water conditioner during water changes. This has worked great for me so far. I'm a big believer in Purigen now and plan to continue using it.

Comment

Heck yeah man it's awesome stuff, the purfiltrum from seachem's aquavitro line is even better but really overkill in my opinion lol. Carbon wears out too fast, leaches phosphates and can be messy, whereas purigen lasts around 6 months and comes in it's own bag.

Comment

Working...
              X