Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fin rot and Cloudy eye help

Long story short, I royally messed up.
    Five of my fish have fin rot, and three of those have cloudy eye it seems.
    I'm normally a much more responsible pet owner, but I got caught up with errands that required me to be in and out of the city, and the fish ended up on the bad end of it due to me not changing the water before I became so busy, and not leaving anyone to check on them (had a feeding machine, but looking back on it should probably have just asked someone to come by). I'm also assuming the power went out while I was away, because the filter was not on. I feel terrible about it and am about to go rush out to buy some sort of medication for them, but this situation is confusing to me as well.

I do not have a quarantine tank, and there is an african dwarf frog in that tank. I'm sure if I really put my head to it I can maybe put together a makeshift setup, but would it be alright to medicate the fish with the frog in that tank? And is the medication for fin rot also helpful for cloudy eye? And is the medication safe for plants? I'm absolutely certain that the issue here is the water quality, and will be doing a water change as well.
    I'll be avoiding doing much with the situation until I have some sort of answers, because I've had this setup for years and am afraid to do any further harm.

Change the water and clean filter.you have bacterial problem.i would use melafix.dont know if it will hurt the frog.play it safe and move frog if you can

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but apparently another tragedy came in and killed all of them off along with a bird :(

Carbon monoxide issue was apparently going on, god knows how long. The only survivor seems to be the betta, but even he's becoming lethargic. For future knowledge though, is white film on a fishes body or eyes a sign of carbon monoxide poisoning? Or just the gasping? I did the water change soon after I made the post, and put in a new filter cartridge, and it seemed to make no difference to them. About an hour of the cleaner water being there for them (no medication was used), one by one they started becoming more and more frail, and turning white before dying. The frog had no visible change upon death other than looking 'bloated'. Not long after that, I noted that my cockatiel was no longer whistling, and died shortly thereafter after defecating a lot and not standing on his perch. I'd just like to know if anyone's familiar with how fish behave in relation to carbon monoxide poisoning so I can keep a close eye on my other tank, and also be able to tell if it's happening in the future.

Comment

Wow, how do you determine it is CO poisoning?
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

If you dont have an air pump and stone in the other tank put one in. The bubbles popping on the surface will help dissipate any gasses in the tank, and in turn increase the oxygen available for the fish.

Not sure how big your tank is, but if its large might want to get a couple.

Comment

ptran- We determined there was a carbon monoxide issue going on when the fish had all died, and then our cockatiel started looking 'tired', then proceeded to stop whistling, shat himself, started losing footing on his perches, and then slumped into a corner and died. I wasn't home while it was happening, and by the time I could get to him he'd died (it didn't take more than an hour I believe). Before him, the fish looked ill as I'd said, and then not long after they died too. So we removed the dead ones, got our dogs out, then came back with a detector thing and had an AC tech look at the thing. And everything was solved afterwards, at the expense of the pets :(

The other tank is a 28 gal bowfront with goldfish, and they seem to have been unaffected- they do have an air pump. The betta that previously survived is still alive, and a hermit crab that I had seems to have recovered.
            It's been really confusing to me, but I can only imagine how useful it'd be to know all the effects of carbon monoxide on aquarium life. I'm also wondering if the fact that the betta is a labyrinth fish had anything to do with his survival, because those tankmates were goners :sad:

Comment

Sorry for your loss! It was a good thing that you weren't home. CO is a silent killer even to human. Do you have CO detector installed?
              010G Long fin BN grow-out
              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community
              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Working...