Aquarium Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquarium Stand

I have a question I have been unable to find an answer for.

I have the opportunity to get a free metal stand for my 17 gallon tank. Tank footprint is 24 x 12. Stand footprint is 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 (designed for 29 gallon).

There are a couple cross braces running front to back along the width of the tank. Other than that there is no support.

My idea is to get a thick piece of plywood and lay it between the stand and the tank. My thought on this is that it wont work, but I'm hoping someone can convince me otherwise.

Thoughts please?

Not every side needs to sit on the stand. Edges need to be on the strong part of the stand and not on braces. I used 40 breeders that are 18 x 36. The tank rested on the two 18 inch sides and no support on the 36 inch side. One tank only had 7 inches of the 18 resting on a stand. Over 30 years and no leaks or broken glass.

Comment

I am gonna think out loud here (while I type), but I'm sure I am over thinking this.

So take the stand, put a piece of plywood over the top (its a rimless tank and thats just something I do with open stands and it always works well for me and my piece of mind). The long supports are about 3/4 of an inch wide. That really takes the 12 1/2 down to 11-ish at the thinnest point. So by placing the tank to 1 side of the stand I would have actual structural metal support on 3 sides and the 4th would be over a crossbar at the end.

I think that would be more than enough support. I can always test it buy putting some water jugs and weight plates up there and see if I see any stress points.

All signs seem to point towards giving it a go.

Its amazing how hard its been to find an answer to smaller tank than stand. Everyone seems to be doing tanks that are bigger than their stands and hang off.

The picture is a quick and crappy representation of my plan. I find visuals always work best!

Thanks Doc!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sfasu; 07-27-2016, 07:25 PM. Reason: added image

Comment

Working...
      X