Control aggression by number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control aggression by number

I thought I'd share my little experience.

I had 5 tiger barbs in a 10 gallon tank, there was 1 dominant fish that chased others around a little but they all seem to be ok.
    Sometime last week, I needed to cycle a 29G so I moved 2 to it. One was the dominant barb and it harassed the other one so bad, it had to hide behind the sponge filter all day long.
    In the other tank, 1 became dominant and it did the same to one other barb to the point I thought it was dead.

I switched off and put the 2 dominant ones in the 29G and 3 weak ones in the 10G. In the 29G, the more dominant one harassed the 2nd dominant one just as bad as before. The 3 in the 10G got along.

I put all 5 back in the 10 and now all is well again. There is hardly any aggression any more.

Barbs are a schooling fish. Fish like Tetras, Barbs, and even some Cichlids do much better in larger number. You could add a lot more. They would even be happier, less stress. The number help spread aggression over the group. No one fish is getting all the aggression.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Aggression

Now I understand why some religious groups promote polygamy. It spreads out the aggression...

Mike

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
      Barbs are a schooling fish. Fish like Tetras, Barbs, and even some Cichlids do much better in larger number. You could add a lot more. They would even be happier, less stress. The number help spread aggression over the group. No one fish is getting all the aggression.

Comment

Originally posted by mredman View Post
        Now I understand why some religious groups promote polygamy. It spreads out the aggression...

Mike
        There may be food for thought there, but I suspect some of our ladies may take exception.

Comment

010G Long fin BN grow-out
          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community
          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by Brentpitt View Post
            There may be food for thought there, but I suspect some of our ladies may take exception.
            I think the dominant male is the aggressor, if he has more wives, the ladies may get "harassed" less.

Comment

Working...
            X