Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reef to Freshwater

Hello,

I have a 75G reef tank that I'm thinking about converting to a freshwater tank. It's been decades since I've had a freshwater tank and was wondering how to go about converting my drilled tank reef to a freshwater tank? Should I still use the filter sock, sump, refugium from my reef tank in a freshwater set-up? Should I still use my protein skimmer? Should I still use my reactor that I'm running carbon & GFO in? Is there still a general consensus of x inches of fish per gallon? I'd probably do a community tank, but not 100% sure.

Thanks!
    --Steve

I've never been into salt or reef, but I think using the sump is fine in freshwater. It is my understanding that a protein skimmer is unnecessary in fresh. I could be wrong, but that is what I have always understood. And I'm guessing the reactor, etc. may be more salt/reef specific. I have never used anything like that. Don't think most folks use the inches of fish per gallon too much. A lot depends on the kind of fish, level of activity, aggression, etc. Just my thoughts. Pretty sure that are better ideas out there.

Comment

Hey Steve, I would ditch the refugium and skimmer, but keep the sump. You could still use the reactor with carbon and purigen. There is no general consensus on fish per gallon (e.g. you would never put a 10" Oscar in a 10 gallon tank - hopefully!). The switch you're considering is much easier than the inverse

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Ditch the skimmer and use the refugium as a top off.

Comment

Working...
        X