Ebay mixed seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay mixed seeds

I'd like some guidance. Ok.. so i bought a bag of "mixed grass seeds" from ebay. There are supposedly 1000 in this bag that is the size of a quarter. I don't know what plants they are other than Mixed grass seeds but thats ok because I don't know what I'm doing either. I figure 1000/1 ratio gives me a pretty good odd that I'll get a plant. My girl grew a bean sprout in her pre-k class so I thought it would be a fun experiment for both of us to do together.

This is not the seller i bought from but its basically the same ad. Shows many different types of plants

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 1000pcs Aquarium Grass Seed (mixed) Water Aquatic Home Garden Plant Seeds at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

The bag arrived and of course there were no directions or names that I could discern. Communicating with the seller is working. I understand that different plants probably have different germinating requirements but what should i do to give myself the most chance to succeed. Plant them in soil like regular plants and keep it moist? fold them in some batting and keep it soaked? When does light get introduced to the equation?

Would really appreciate any advice. I know the quality of seeds is probably low. My lack of knowledge lowers that chance even more. That's where you all come in.

looks like some glosso. not sure what the others are but it sounds fun. for a $1.00 I would have gotten 4 or 5 bags.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I bought 2 bags from exactly same seller few days ago, seems will be arrived after 2 weeks. Can you tell me how long that shipping will take?

Comment

3kiwi.....I wasn't really paying attention but i think it was about 3 weeks. Let me know how your germinate.
        Troy.. thanks for chiming in. I looked up the glosso.. cool looking plant.. thanks for the name.
        I'll start seeding them next week. Just don't know how to start.

Comment

Originally posted by maddhatter72 View Post
          3kiwi.....I wasn't really paying attention but i think it was about 3 weeks. Let me know how your germinate.
          Sure I'll let you know the process if my seeds germinate successfully after next month.

Comment

there is a few way to start. You can drop them in the aquarium and wait but it will take longer and only a very few seeds will grow.
            you can get a container, put some wet paper towel/or cotton in the container and then put the seeds in it. make sure the paper towel/cotton are always moist (use a spray bottle) and have plenty of ventilation(seeds need oxygen to develop). since it's a mix seed you can try 2 batches put one in a dark closet and put the other in a bright room light (but not direct sun light) to see which one develop
            You can get hydroton clay balls instead of cotton and do the same thing as well.
            you can put them in a cup and soak them in the water for a day then take them out and put them in the wet paper towel and repeat the step above. sometimes that help them develop faster as well.

it's just take too long to grow lol. it's better if you are in process of setting up a new tank and just put the seeds directly on top of the substrate and keep the tank like that until they grown then fill the water

Comment

Thanks a bunch Epik. That's some great information. I'm especially grateful you mentioned the oxygen. I was going to put a glass lid on a tank with alight on top. Wont do that now. I will divide the seeds up into 10 piles and try the methods you described. If I get even 1 plant, I'll be happy :)

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

So, the mix didn't say what was in it? No names or anything?? For all you know, you could have 1,000 bermudagrass seeds or 1,000 juncus repens?

At any rate, slightly moist soil and plenty of light should germinate most of them if they are viable. After that, it all depends on what you've got.
                  Houston Area Aquatic Plant Society
                  Also follow us on Facebook and APC

Comment

Working...
                  X