Too much water flow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much water flow?

I redid my tank decore and trying an experiment. The plant is heavily decorated with lots of hiding places.. tall (full height of aquarium) grass in two places and many tall decorations as well as many smaller plants, caves, and trees. I have an old oddsea 4 canister filter that I'm cycling back into the tank. A emperor 400 another similar size hob and two maxijet 1200 powerheads one with a bottle of filter floss at the base. There is a lot of water movement. The Tank is crystal clear And I put all my fish together (minus guppies and danios) into it. I have 2 blood parrots 7in and 4in, 7in frontosa, 9 Silver dollars 6in to 3in, 3 tiger barb a little less then 2 in. 20ish yellow labs2 at 5 in most others in the 2 in range, 3 red empress just getting into maturity about 3 in. 2 rainbow sharks 5in and 1 albino rainbow at 3in. I know thats a lot of fish and they will be moved around to other tanks but GOSH they look sooo awesome in the tank. There is NO aggression. The tank has been set this way for 2 days. All water flows are set at different levels and directions. The fish seem to really love it Watching them chase pellets to eat is a a lot of fun and I've probably spent most of the 2 days just staring at the tank.

I will be adding an eheim 2217 and removing the two HOB filters. Should I also remove the powerheads or is it ok to leave that much flow in the tank.

If I wanted to leave the tank overstocked would the two canisters be enough? What if I added a 3rd canister filter?

All advice is welcome

How big is the Tank?
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

125 gallon

Comment

With all due respect, I think your water flow should be the least of your worries with that mix. Temperament, parameters, and diet would be more pressing issues, in my opinion

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Pic please?
          010G Long fin BN grow-out
          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community
          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

yeah pic! id go with a 2217 and a wet dry.interesting mix

Comment

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. I was worried about temperment as well. but There all doing well. I have notice a couple fin nips on two of the silver dollars so I've been watching the tank like a hawk. The parrots are building a nest and nip anyone that gets close to them. That is the only aggression in the tank. I turned off the powerjets today to see if aggression went up. They played nice all day long. I have fed them all kens premium cichlid flakes mixed with some cichlid pellets and i keep dropping small amounts all over the tank .. Everyone eats fine. Most impressed that the 3 tiger barbs have not became food. The might be enjoying the tank the most of all.

Comment

I have a 125G as well to house Tanganyika community.
                Filtration: 2 FX5, 1 Eheim 2217, 2 power head. I don't think your setup is a lot of flow.
                010G Long fin BN grow-out
                020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community
                150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Well .. the parrot fish laid eggs for the the first time in my nice new setup. They were getting really protective of there space. My large yellow lab and the parrot have some sort of blood feud that developed. They will not lay off each other. the parrot fish has damaged lips. They never had an issue before. I grabbed the lab but had to move around some decorations to do it. No not going to take a pic now. I dont want to put the decorations back and disturb the parrots. There istill plenty of cover/ seclusion area's The parrots are chasing everyone away from there eggs. The other fish are staying away.. I don't really want to disturb them incase I'm one of the lucky ones with a fertile male. Or is it better for me to grab the eggs (there on a rock slab) out of the tank? Should I keep the powerheads off or is the extra water movement what triggered spawning and they need tobe kept on.?
                  Last edited by maddhatter72; 05-06-2016, 11:44 PM.

Comment

if the eggs are fertile and you want to raise the fry,take the rock out.if they hatch in the tank with mbuna and tiger barbs youre gonna have ww3

Comment

Thanks Rob.. I have been been worried about that. Will give them a day or two to see if they are fertile. Its been one day now. I think I read it takes 4 days. The mom is hyper protective its fun to watch but also scary. Should I take out the rock alone or with the Mom; Is she turning the eggs? I'll fill a tub with tank water and and use small hob but I assume they need some waterflow over the eggs to simulate the mom hovering over them.

This is so much fun.

Comment

What color are the eggs now?

Comment

Lost all the eggs today. I don't know for sure what happened but as of this morning only 2 or 3 eggs had turned white. But the pleco (he's probably 12 inches) likes to try to park over the eggs. Each time he has done that the two parrots gang up on him and annoy him into moving. Each time some eggs get dislodged. Today when I cam home the parrot female had abandoned the site and I only saw a few eggs .. all the yellow labs were chowing down at the sand in a wide area so I assume the pleco came by and dislodged all the eggs. I don't think that all the eggs would have turned bad this quickly.

I'll wait a few weeks and then put the parrots in a separate tank to see what happens.

Comment

If you feed them a high protein diet they should breed in a week. Live black worms will increase the amount of eggs.
                            Next time they spawn. Remove eggs. You want to put eggs on down side to keep anything from landing on them. The flow over eggs does not have to be very much.
                            When I breed angels. They laid on slate. I put in gallon jars. Eggs on down side. Air was past thru ridged tubing with weight to hold it down. Flow was slow enough that I could seen threw bubble. Slow is key. To much flow is deadly.

I have heard Parrots are sterile. Heard of lots of spawns but no fry.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. Your comments were all a great help. I wasn't expecting the eggs to get fertilize but I sure was hoping and praying for it. I didn't take the eggs out because I didn't know if the eggs needed the mothers attention or how much water movement they would need (that and no place to put them) I figured if the eggs lasted to the point they get fertilized or become rotten in a few days I could plan and act for next time. I'd know if my parrot was sterile or not. The parrots were great at keeping all the other fish away. I didn't think of the pleco who is now named "Bully" by the kids

Comment

Working...
                              X