First time with live plants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time with live plants

Have had this aquarium for around 4 months and it was looking pretty plain with just some decorations my son picked out.

Was always fascinated with planted tanks so went down to the pet store and got some driftwood and low light plants about two weeks ago.

Tank is a 40b, with a canister filter that I had lying around. Got a finnex fugeray planted plus light and now I am starting to see some growth.

I have noticed the water turning a bit brown also since adding the driftwood. It's Mopani Malaysian driftwood from Petco, aquarium section.

Here are some pics. I would like to add more plants in the future if I can get these to grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by adahm; 03-27-2016, 10:01 PM.

The anubias already had a flower on it when I got it, but since adding the driftwood it seems to have turned brown.

Comment

Fish look healthy and plants like anubias should do fine. It is best to pre-soak new wood for a weekend to minimize leaching from the wood.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by adahm View Post
        The anubias already had a flower on it when I got it, but since adding the driftwood it seems to have turned brown.

Anubias is an easy plant but the flowers don't last for ever. They will give more but It can take years to get them to give flowers. What you are seeing is natural. The white part of the flower will turn brown but the water turning brown is the driftwood. Looks like you are doing well so far.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by mredman View Post
          Fish look healthy and plants like anubias should do fine. It is best to pre-soak new wood for a weekend to minimize leaching from the wood.

Mike
          The only ones that are living look healthy. I got some from fish and pets unlimited almost all are dead within the first 4 days even though they were acclimated before introduction.

Not going there again. It seems fish were under too much stress with the way they handle and bag them.

Comment

Working...
          X