Who measures phosphates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who measures phosphates?

After solving a potassium deficiency, the unintended consequence is a high phosphate level. In addition to my base fertilizer regime, I alternated potassium salts of nitrate, sulphate and phosphate. My phosphate level recently measured more than 10 ppm. I used to make 20 gallon RO changes every four to five days in my 135 gallon tank but I changed a week ago to 20 gallons RO plus 5 gallons tap. My tap has a phosphate level less than 0.25 ppm. I stopped the potassium phosphate addition two water changes ago. Today my phosphate level has been reduced to 5 ppm phosphate.

What is your phosphate level in your planted tank?

Mike

Am I the only one concerned about phosphate levels?

Comment

Yep.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Perhaps my time spent here would be better served on the For Sale section...it is the majority of the posts.

Mike

Comment

Mike, I was just kidding around. As I am a low tec plant guy. I almost never test water any more. My plants grow I'm good. But I do read your posts and enjoy learning a few thing along the way. Perhaps you could tell us what the deficiencies mean to our plants. maybe a picture or two.
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I'm with Troy on this one. I don't test for phosphates in my freshwater tanks

Comment

Why was your phosphates(P) low with fertilizer your using? High P should turn your greens, greener and increase growth. The high P will be used up by your plants. The only real problem with high P is an algae bloom.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Who View Post
                Why was your phosphates(P) low with fertilizer your using? High P should turn your greens, greener and increase growth. The high P will be used up by your plants. The only real problem with high P is an algae bloom.
                If you already have a high level of phosphates due to your source of water, low quality flake food, overfeeding, and/or high organism bioload or a combination of multiple factors,then you will not need to dose extra PO4 since the levels are already sufficient for your plants. Dosing extra phosphates can cause algae blooms. I mix my own fertilizers using a combination of both the PMDD which has no phosphates method and the EI method which includes phosphates depending on the conditions of my tanks. I always dose phosphates separately from the rest of the macros/trace elements. I test my tanks weekly using both API and Lamotte test kits so I know exactly what ratio/amount to use daily. If nitrates are on the higher side, I use less KNO3, if phosphates are high I use less of my PO4 mix and vice versa. I will note that I use T5 HO lighting with a 6500k bulb and 10000k led lights in combo which is close to 3 watts per gallon. I use eheim canister filters with no carbon, just coarse pad, biomedia, and fine polishing pad, Eco complete substrate, and Rodi water for water changes from a spectrapure 5 stage unit. So to do it right and not waste alot of extra money on expensive commercial fertilizersuccess, the answer is yes, I do test for phosphates,lol. Hope this helps, go to thekrib.com for extra information on both the PMDD method and the EI method of dosing.

Comment

Working...
                X