Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Parrot Tank Mates Advice

Hello all,

I need a recommendation for some sort of dither/schooling fish to join my 2 lil buddies. My tank is a custom 76g tall with driftwood and live plants. My wife would like something colorful (I dont see that as being too much of an option). Ideally I'd like to stick with a South American option. Anyone have any ideas?

Cory cats or yoyo loaches would be cool. Any decent sized tetra should also work

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

I have recently tried a small school of X-Ray Tetras and there are two left. Sadly they may have been too small. When you say decent size tetra, what kind were you thinking of?

Comment

I was speaking in general terms of size, but check out diamond tetras and columbian redfins. They're both slightly larger species. Lemon tetras are cool too, but I think they're about the same size as the X-ray tetras. Either way, I'd try to get them as close to adulthood as possible. BPs aren't able to fully open their mouth, so I can't see them swallowing a full-grown specimen of any of the above species

Comment

I think the size would be an issue there too. What about removing all my original restrictions? I had tiger barbs and they did exactly what I wanted them to as a schooling dither however, my wife did not like them.

Comment

If you're looking for size, check out some of the African Characins. Digging up an article, give me a few

Comment

That was easier than I thought: http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwate...characins.aspx

Comment

You could also do a small group of clown loaches, though I'm wary of recommending them due to their adult size. It will take years for them to reach that size though

Comment

I have two Geos and 3 loaches at the bottom of the tank currently. I need something to help with the movement in the middle/upper portions. Ideally something along the lines of the barbs without actually being a barb would be perfect. At this point, as much as I love the schooling, I may have to abandon it. Im just lost and have tried many different tetras and they have all failed/been eaten.

Comment

Hmm. What about something like a Giant Diano? You could also try mixing with other cichlids, rams and festivums should work. You could also try Tetras again, but try adding more plant cover in the tank before you add them

Comment

Maybe more blood parrots?
                      010G Long fin BN grow-out
                      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                      020G Leulepi grow-out
                      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                      030G Leulepi breeder
                      030G SRD FlowerHorn
                      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                      090G Tangs community
                      100G Tangs community
                      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Id rather not add more BP's. One is 6" (he has now eaten all 6 of the tetras I put in yesterday, I didnt think he could eat a 1-1.5" fish whole yet, I was wrong) and the other is 4". What about adding 4-6 Silver Dollars in conjunction with the same number of Giant Danios?

Comment

That would work. I kept BP with Silver Dollar before without any problem.
                          010G Long fin BN grow-out
                          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                          020G Leulepi grow-out
                          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                          030G Leulepi breeder
                          030G SRD FlowerHorn
                          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                          090G Tangs community
                          100G Tangs community
                          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by Rayeraye View Post
                            Id rather not add more BP's. One is 6" (he has now eaten all 6 of the tetras I put in yesterday, I didnt think he could eat a 1-1.5" fish whole yet, I was wrong) and the other is 4". What about adding 4-6 Silver Dollars in conjunction with the same number of Giant Danios?
                            I can definitely say my 7"BRP was always looking to eat, but never seemed to go after my smaller angel except once. But disaster struck yesterday when she swallowed my brand new figure 8 puffer baby . Only about an inch long and just big enough to fit in her mouth but not her throat. I guess this caused her to stop breathing and of corse they both died. Against all hop, I tried a make shift autopsy to get the puffer out of the gills and intact. So sad, the BRP was one of our first fish 4 years ago for my daughter. So basically always assume any fish can and will eat anything that fits in their mouth.

Comment

Working...
                            X