Anybody know what's going on with my Amazon Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know what's going on with my Amazon Sword

I've had them for a little over a month now and at first they were doing great, now it seems everyday I look at them more and more leaves are dieing and every new leaf I've had pop up goes from a dark red to almost a reddish brown color? I have my led lights on for 12 hours a day, I have co2 shooting in through a inline filter about 1 bubble per second, and I have been adding flourish trace and excel since the beginning.
    Attached Files

Red leaves are typical new growth color. Swords are heavy root feeders. They require root fertilization to really grow well. Give them good fertilization and good water flow. Trim off the dead leaves and stems. Leaves will lose the red color as they get bigger.
    Keep on doing what your doing. And read up on the plant on the Internet. Lots of good info out there.

P.S. Don't bury the crown. Only bury up to where the roots start to come out of main stem. The crown needs to stay clean and free of debris. Otherwise stem will rot from inside and plant will die.
    Last edited by Tetranerd; 02-09-2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

I think I found my problem... I took the plants out of the substrate to cut all the dead leaves off and to rebury without covering the crown and the 1st one I removed smelled awful... I didn't know any better and when I planted them I left the mesh pot on them with the rockwool so I removed the pot and rockwool off of all my plants and reburied all of them, the roots from all the amazon swords were completely filling all the voids in the pots so hopefully that will help.

Comment

1. What is the size of your tank? One bubble per second sounds low to me.
        2. You may not be using the proper balance of fertilizer.
        3. Swords benefit from root tabs.
        4. I agree not removing the container and rock wool is problematic.

Mike

Comment

I have a 55 gallon and I just started using root tabs this week.

Comment

What is your source of N, P and K?

Mike

Comment

Just the root tabs I put in earlier this week. Its Seachem Flourish Tabs.

Comment

The root tabs will be good for the swords but you also should do some research on EI dosing. Your tank may be lacking macro fertilizers. You will very likely see Nitrogen and Potassium deficiency. Mike

Comment

I will give it a look, thanks!

Comment

Perfect. Always remove all the rock wool you can without damaging roots too bad. The root tabs will feed any stem plants. The Swords will get huge and the roots will spread rapidly and cover the bottom of aquarium. Just make sure you follow the directions on the root tabs.

Be patient. It's like planting a garden. It takes weeks to months before things start to look the way you want. Patience is the key.

Good luck. And don't give up.

Originally posted by Streetbob View Post
                    I think I found my problem... I took the plants out of the substrate to cut all the dead leaves off and to rebury without covering the crown and the 1st one I removed smelled awful... I didn't know any better and when I planted them I left the mesh pot on them with the rockwool so I removed the pot and rockwool off of all my plants and reburied all of them, the roots from all the amazon swords were completely filling all the voids in the pots so hopefully that will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Streetbob View Post
                      Your plants roots need to be able to stretch out in the substrate. In the cup and rockwool they can't absorb the nutrients they need. My sword does well on just root tabs I don't use C02.
                      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Grew Swords years ago long before all this fancy stuff came about. Way before CO2 and ferts and fancy light bulbs. On a breeder 40 I would use 3 shop lights. Four foot long with two bulbs each. Cool white bulbs. They took over the 40 and always were blooming. Good book to get if you can find. Light in the aquarium. Light is the key. Without the proper amount of light all the ferts and CO2 won't help. Example just look under an Oak tree. All the ferts and water and grass still won't grow.
                        Depth of aquarium will greatly reduce light to bottom.

Comment

In my younger days I did not understand the importance of light. I kept increasing the photoperiod with poor results. Now I try to duplicate the sun. However, my photoperiod is only eight hours. I have a heavy plant load, fertilize daily and spot treat/systemically treat with gluraraldehyde. I keep my water soft with a low pH and my plants flourish, including Madagascar lace plants (two new leaves today).

Mike

Comment

Amazon Sword is a low little plant. I don't know much about LED lighting but Sword will grow in my 55g with a single fluorescent bulb. My planted tank has much more lighting but it's a hex so it's tall. The Sword in it started 3" now it's Almost as big as the tank. http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforum...lanted-40g-Hex As I said you don't need CO2 for Sword just good root tabs.

One more thing. You may want to move them further apart. as they get bigger they will need the room.
                            Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Working...
                            X